× Members

I am a paramedic with ADHD

More
1 month 1 day ago #289678 by Jack
I am a paramedic with ADHD was created by Jack
Hi all,

I’m hoping I can ask for some advice and guidance.

I was diagnosed ADHD two and a half years ago during my paramedic training. I have been a qualified paramedic now for 2 and a half years.

Though I feel like I perform well as a paramedic thanks to the high demands of the job complimenting my ADHD, my condition still causes me countless issues in everyday life. So I have decided to apply for PIP, my concern is the assessor will either dismiss my struggles because of my ability to do my job, or my job will be at risk because my application discloses my struggles.

I’m concerned that if my employer or the health care professions council finds out they will be concerned I cannot do my job to the ability that is required. Although I am confident I can do my job the standards required, and at times I am able to perform beyond those standards, I am concerned my job or my success in applying for PIP will be at risk.

Is it best to leave my job role out of my application? Or will they look into it and find out eventually? Or is it best to disclose my job and justify how I am able to perform in my role but still struggle with my ADHD?

Really appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Best wishes,
J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #289682 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic I am a paramedic with ADHD
Hi Jack

Many congratulations on completing the paramedic training and gaining the qualification.

The DWP are not so much interested in your condition per se but how that condition impacts on your daily life and/or mobility. It is why two people with the same condition may find they have completely different outcomes. If you haven't already, I would have a look at our Guide to PIP claims and reviews and go through all the questions and see where you think you will be awarded points. As well as our comprehensive guide, "A Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews" there is also a supplementary guide for claimants with ADHD, which you might find of interest. benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/pip

How many days a week do you work? This could have an impact on your chances of success.

Will an assessor dismiss your struggles? In reality, you need to be prepared for that. There are plenty of people who have been awarded PIP, and they work, but there are also those who have been turned down for an award because they work. We have had members who feel they have been treated unfairly because they work, and they have struggled to describe their difficulties in a way that could be understood by a health professional (assessor).

No one associated with your employer currently knows that you have the condition, and I assume you have no disciplinary issues arising from incidents that could be tied to your ADHD. Therefore, you can almost guarantee that an assessor will assume that you have no particular difficulties as no reasonable adjustments are in place. Does that mean you shouldn't apply? No - but I just want you to know that it will likely be a battle, especially considering the nature of your job.

When you apply for PIP, you are asked to tell the truth on the form. If you chose not to mention your work, that wouldn't give them a clear picture. I asked earlier about the number of hours you work. If you work full time - you will have a greater battle on your hands than if you work part-time.

When you apply, assume the person reading it has no idea about your condition (because they probably won't). Never assume that they will have encountered it or understand your difficulties. You will have to describe them. You will particularly have to fight the fact that many of your struggles will be invisible to others. That doesn't make them less valid because someone else doesn't see them.

The DWP does not contact employers so your job is not at risk should you apply for PIP.

I hope I haven't entirely put you off - because there is a 48% success rate of people with ADHD applying for PIP. (I don't know about success rates for those who work as well).

Come back if you have any further questions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, C, Anji

More
1 month 7 hours ago #289702 by Anji
Replied by Anji on topic I am a paramedic with ADHD
Hi Jack

Welcome to the forum. I am sure there will be a lot of people interested in your journey through the PIP claim maze! My son has ADHD and I know that there are several others on here either who have ADHD themselves or have a relative they are supporting.

There are a lot of differences in people's experiences as well and a lot of joint wisdom from other claims so do let us know how you get on and ask for any advice. I would definitely agree with BIS's advice, especially to assume the person reading your form knows nothing about ADHD. Also, prepare for a fight. It may not necessarily be needed as some people have good experiences of assessors, and the assessor my son had for LCWRA was fantastic. Not so for his PIP assessment, but you never know!!

Do keep us updated! And well done for your great job that you do...

All the best and good luck
Anji
The following user(s) said Thank You: BIS, Wendy Woo

More
1 month 2 hours ago #289714 by peggy2
Replied by peggy2 on topic I am a paramedic with ADHD
Hi J
I also wondered if you had also approached or joined any charities like Mind.org,uk or some ADHD charity websites for advice. After all each charity also usually have advice on their websites on how to try and manage health conditions/disabilities and medications, there are uisually sections on applying for benefits and also applying for courses and jobs and/or if working also about resonable adjustments on courses/ uni and/or the workplace and also the Goverments access to work. I just wondered if there was any local support group like mind charity who maybe able to advice/help/support you as imagine there are othes like you J who are concerened about how much they share with there employer re there ADHD or mental health. But I do think in our day and age there are more like you J who are on courses or in the work place and have a number of concerns like you. I feel sure a local ADHD charity for Adults or mind charity would be helpful,

All the very best
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo

More
1 month 1 hour ago #289719 by denby
Replied by denby on topic I am a paramedic with ADHD
I've got through a whole working life from 18-58 [plus holiday jobs earlier] and only discovered I have ADHD and autism after retiring. Looking back though, not one job entailed sitting in one place for more than 40 minutes, ever. Several took me to different places on different days of the week. You see how it all fits in! I think the adrenaline of being responsible/fear of getting into trouble mostly kept me performing to the satisfaction of my various employers. My PIP application is ongoing and I'm not about to let them off the hook as to the real difficulties I have in daily life at home.
Btw I didn't switch jobs wantonly, only because of eg partner's job relocation, having children etc. We are all shades and variations! Best wishes, and I add my thanks for all you do. A good few paramedics have all been extremely helpful and kind to close family of mine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.