× Members

After PIP review - Stats on losing out after an appeal?

More
1 month 1 day ago #289729 by River
I had my PIP review consultation two weeks ago and am waiting for the decision (and of course worrying about it). I looked through the detailed stats on this website of what percentage of people get what outcome, following a PIP review. This was quite reassuring as it says that 67% of people who originally got enhanced daily living and enhanced mobility (which includes me), get the same after their review. Also reassuring was the percentage of people with my condition (rheumatoid arthritis) who get PIP, which was over 70%.

I was just wondering though, as I have seen that if you get a decision you aren't happy with and appeal, you can lose what you were originally granted. Is it known what percentage of people end up getting less than the original decision, after they appeal? How common is that? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 1 day ago #289733 by BIS
Hi River

I have only ever heard of a couple of cases where people who have put in for a Mandatory Reconsideration had their original offer reduced. Less than 30% of people win their Mandatory Reconsideration though 69% win at appeal. At the appeal stage if a person's award was likely to be downgraded - the Tribunal judge would warn them and give them an opportunity to withdraw their appeal.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
1 month 1 day ago #289736 by River
OK, thank you for that. I hadn't realised so few win at the Mandatory Reconsideration stage... I suppose they're still hoping you will give up in despair! But it's good to hear that it sounds like not many get downgraded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.