× Members

TRIGGER WARNING - Claiming UC following a rape

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #289991 by Chrissy
Hi all,
I'm new to this forum so apologies as I am unsure of exactly how this works. And please forgive me as this may be a TRIGGER for some people.
My best friend's daughter has been raped and although I personally have some experience of completing application forms and MR's for myself and also have read through all of the guides provided - I wondered if anyone has any advice or experiences to share applying for UC (hopefully limited capability for work related activity/support group) following a rape and all of the damage that comes with it. I know the descriptors that apply to her and which I need to hit in her application which I am fully dealing with on her behalf but thought I would ask if anyone has any advice, information etc specifically relating to this.
With many thanks, Christine
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #290010 by BIS
Hi Chrissy

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's daughter. The trauma she must be going through is utterly horrific and devastating for her and her loved ones.

You've said that you're accustomed to completing the forums and read through all the guides available. I'm not sure whether that means you have read through our guide. If you have, that's great - but if you haven't, do take a look because I'm sure one thing that the young woman doesn't need is to go through an MR - so you want to put in the best application you can. (And you are a good friend to help them with this).

One of the things that I would do when completing the form is ask them to make a paper-based decision, saying that a face-to-face or telephone or video assessment would cause her additional psychological distress. If she has the support of a GP and you can get a letter confirming this, I would get one - but even if you can't - make the request.

What's happened to her is awful - but as you've mentioned, it's the damage which is ongoing that you want to get across - and you want to emphasise that as openly as the young woman will allow you to. The temptation is to hold back - and expect someone to understand that she will be suffering - but even the most seasoned medical professional may not understand the implications unless you spell it out. It is not that she has to write in any detail what happened to her -it's the aftermath mental and physical such as ...severe depression, nightmares, lack of sleep, panic attacks, communication difficulties, agoraphobia, side effects from any medication etc etc that you want to tie into the UC criteria and show why she needs support and is unable to work. - Don't say that she is unable to work 'at the moment', because some idiot may expect her to recover in a couple of months! Just say she is unable to work.

There is no perfect way to do this, and the advice I would give is the same regardless of the circumstances of people's applications. The person reading an application does not know the claimant, and therefore, you have to give the clearest picture you can. Never expect them to understand difficulties or assume they have knowledge of the claimant's medical conditions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #290024 by Bud
So sorry to hear this Chrissy.

Good advice there from BIS.

Going out would be a problem for her, & I’d say all relationships present, & future. Trust issues too.

Women’s Aid’s very good. Not everyone wants to talk, or do group therapy, but 1 to 1 can be very supportive.

Sorry I can’t be of much help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.