× Members

Am I too late to claim PIP?

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290155 by Hazel
Am I too late to claim PIP? was created by Hazel
I reach retirement age in just under a month. I know ESA will stop as I'll be getting state pension. I've never claimed PIP because I didn't need the extra income enough to go through the stress. However, my mobility got significantly worse a few months ago and I now have to use a wheelchair and need a mobility scooter. I kept thinking about claiming PIP but was scared at going through processes again as I did with ESA. Now I'm thinking I can't see they would turn me down as I can't walk! Apart from a bit round the house with rests.

So if I put an application in before my retirement age birthday, am I too late or not? Also what is the quickest way to apply now? Online or over the phone? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290172 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Am I too late to claim PIP?
Hi Hazel

If you're going to apply for PIP, you need to do so now! You cannot apply for PIP after you reach retirement age. Knowing how long it takes for them to process PIP applications - I expect they will tell you that you are too late and will have to apply for Attendance Allowance. You will need to argue that you applied before you reached retirement age - but you only have a short time to do this

Have a look at our Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews for instructions on completing the form. Don't assume that because you can't walk, the DWP won't turn you down for PIP. Of course, they shouldn't, but they sometimes make insane and illogical judgements, so make sure that you show the impact of your disabilities as per the PIP criteria.

I have no experience with an online PIP application, but you can do it immediately—quicker than ringing for the form and waiting for it to be sent out.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: C, Hazel

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290173 by Blueberry Owl
Replied by Blueberry Owl on topic Am I too late to claim PIP?
Not wishing to detract from the above advice but it possible to delay the state pension in order to claim PIP first?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hazel

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290175 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Am I too late to claim PIP?
Hi Blueberry Owl

It would make no difference - because this is about the year a person was born - and that clearly can't be changed.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: den1mon, C, Blueberry Owl, Hazel

More
2 weeks 20 hours ago #290192 by Hazel
Replied by Hazel on topic Am I too late to claim PIP?
Thank you. I checked to see if I could do it online by putting my post code in and it says it's not available in my region so I guess I need to phone.

That was going to be my next question. Would they date the application from the date of the phone call or the date the application form is received back? It sounds like it could be either!

Bonkers that they wouldn't find for you if you can't walk. Yes I will check the guides, thank you. It looks more complicated than the ESA claims.

More
2 weeks 10 hours ago #290201 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Am I too late to claim PIP?
Hazel

It is from the date that your application for PIP is accepted which should be the end of the initial phone call unless there are residency issues, which I suspect does not apply to you.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: C, Hazel

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.