× Members

Adult Deafness

More
2 weeks 32 minutes ago #290250 by Annea
Adult Deafness was created by Annea
My friend has become profoundly deaf. She been told she died not qualify for disability for Deafness not acquired from birth or child hood. But during adulthood. She has now totally lost hearing with little chance of any improvement. She's told that deaf people have made it known they do not want to be concsidered on disabled. Which I get if you have been deaf all the life. But when Deafness is sudden and absulute surely it is a disability. And I'd
S o
a great disablement to the person. And justifys pip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #290260 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Adult Deafness
Hello Annea
You have highlighted a problem that many people have regarding the ‘disabled’ label. I could write an essay on this but will refrain. The key thing, in my mind at least, is that regardless of the titles it is sometimes given PIP is given because of the additional difficulties someone has with daily living or mobility, not because they are disabled. I always urge someone who has significant additional difficulties to apply for PIP and potentially use the extra money to help overcome those difficulties.
As regards deafness, not being able to hear is an additional difficulty, and not being able to hear does score PIP points.
Having said that, it is not always the most straight forward application, so I would strongly advise you or your friend to use our guide.
Well done for being a good friend!
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Annea

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.