× Members

Combination of symptoms together

More
1 week 6 days ago #290339 by Orangeblossom
Combination of symptoms together was created by Orangeblossom
I remember on the ESA form there was a section about do your conditions interact? and a space to explain that. There isn't something like that for PIP.

How can you explain if it is a combination of symptoms meaning you can't do the PiP descriptors? Would the 'additional info' section be the right place to do that?

I have found (PIP) they try and ask which thing causes X problem but it is sometimes not so simple. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 6 days ago #290356 by BIS
Replied by BIS on topic Combination of symptoms together
Hi Orangeblossom

You could include some information about how your multiple conditions affect you in the additional info section, but I would make sure that it is clear in each section. For example, if a person suffers from chronic depression, osteoarthritis (in their spine), fibromyalgia, and severe asthma, each of these conditions will impact their daily living in different ways across the various questions.

So if a claimant was trying to answer the question about preparing food they might say -"I am unable to prepare a meal because of the lack of motivation, pain, exhaustion, poor mobility, poor balance and shortness of breath caused by my chronic depression, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia and severe asthma...." - and then they could give more details about not using knives (due to chronic depression) - unable to sit for very long (pain from osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia) - unable to take meals out of a microwave because of poor balance (osteoarthritis, fibro) - not safe in the kitchen - because of severe asthma attacks that happen randomly two or three times a day.

Of course, if a condition isn't relevant to one of the questions - you don't mention it - but when you have multiple conditions, which the majority of people do - I would mention it against any relevant question, explaining why the symptoms impact your ability to undertake a particular activity. Sometimes it feels like you are repeating yourself - but I don't think that matters. If you don't tell them - they will make assumptions.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orangeblossom, denby, C

More
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #290392 by LL26
Replied by LL26 on topic Combination of symptoms together
Hi Orangeblossom,
...to add to what BIS has said...
Think about the effect of fatigue and interaction of medicines- it maybe that treatment for condition 2 is not optimised because the tablets conflict with condition 1 etc Pain etc might also be greater (subjectively rather than objectively as it is yourpain that is relevant) as a result of having more than one health problem.
I hope this helps.
LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by LL26.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Orangeblossom, C

More
1 week 5 days ago #290393 by Orangeblossom
Replied by Orangeblossom on topic Combination of symptoms together
Thanks yes that is the case with the medications.
The following user(s) said Thank You: denby

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.