× Members

CB ESA and UC migration

More
1 week 4 days ago #290475 by Sasha
CB ESA and UC migration was created by Sasha
I am currently claiming CB ESA and am in the support group. I lost my entitlement to IR ESA as I was given some money which took my savings over £16 000. I am single, currently living with relatives and am likely to eventually need to claim means tested benefit (though probably not for several years).

I had assumed with the migration to UC, people like me would be transferred to NS ESA and would then be able to top it up with UC once their savings were below £16 000. However, I just read on this website, that this is not expected to happen.

What do you think will happen to people in this position? It is obvious that we will no longer be able to add any IR ESA. I appreciate that you may not know the answer to this, but as CB ESA is so much less than UC LCWRA, it is a bit concerning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #290490 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic CB ESA and UC migration
S

No, that is not the case.

You are currently receiving legacy ESA.

If your assets and savings dip below the £16,000 limit then you can ask the DWP to have the IR component added to your ESA again, although there will be a £1/week deduction for every £250 above the lower limit of £6000.

Alternatively, you can apply for UC whether you are receiving legacy ESA or New Style ESA, the ESA will remain in payment but will be deducted £ for £ from any UC that is payable.

I would check what you might receive with legacy ESA and UC before making any decision to claim UC. While there are certainly circumstances where UC might pay more there are also ones where ESA will.

Have you considered claiming PIP?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sasha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.