× Members

New diagnosis midway through PIP award period

More
1 week 2 days ago #290592 by Tracy Neil
Hi,

I was awarded higher rate care and standard mobility PIP last year because of a mix of anxiety, depression, hearing-impairment and carpal tunnel syndrome.

I've very recently been assessed and given a diagnosis of autism, which probably accounts for my high levels of anxiety and overwhelm.

Do I have to inform PIP and ESA of this diagnosis now, or can I wait until my award is due to end in 2026? In itself it's not likely to entitle me to any more or any less money/ratings. I just don't want to trigger a WCA or PIP review if it can be avoided because the stress they provoke is horrendous for me.

I guess this is me being autistic, because I can't work out if this is a change in circumstances because nothing has changed ie no symptom changes. My condition hasn't worsened or improved. Plus the DWP seems to be backlogged to the hilt and getting in touch with them is a nightmare.

Thank you for any help x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 2 days ago #290602 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic New diagnosis midway through PIP award period
Hello Tracy,
I would agree with you, nothing has changed, other than you now have a piece of paper supporting what you have always said.

For those reasons I don't think you are under any obligation to inform the DWP. You might wish to to do so if you think it might support a claim for higher rate mobility - and that is unfortunately something we are not able to explore on the forum. Hopefully you are in contact with a local advice agency and they will be able to guide you on that one.

Unless you want to go for that - I would suggest that you sit back feeling pleased that next time you come up for a review you have even more evidence to present.
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tracy Neil, Sheila 966, C

More
1 week 1 day ago #290664 by Tracy Neil
Replied by Tracy Neil on topic New diagnosis midway through PIP award period
Thank you, Catherine. I will wait until it's unavoidable then!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.