× Members

How long after PIP awarded to do M/R?

More
1 week 3 days ago #290652 by PurpleDino
How long after PIP awarded to do M/R? was created by PurpleDino
Hi all,
I was awarded LRC and HRM for my first PIP claim. This was 4 months and I was so relieved I just left it. But now I have re-read the notes that came with it, I think I should have been awarded higher rate care. The notes say I could discuss my complex medical issues so I have no memory problems- but I have it all written out, so I can check dates, tests, diagnoses without forgetting! It says I don't forget medication, but I said to the assessor that I recently realised I do forget medication, because I didn't finish a supply when I thought I would; I don't know how often I forget to take my medication, because I HAVE FORGOTTEN IT and don't have anyone to prompt or remind me!! :S

Is it too late to do an M/R now? Is it too risky given I got HRM (people say this is very rare)? If I don't do a M/R, will this count against me in the future (like for other benefits if I say I struggle with memory)?.
Thank you, I'm very new to all this!
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #290658 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic How long after PIP awarded to do M/R?
Hi Purple Dino,
You should do a MR within a month, but if you have a good reason for it taking longer you have up to 13 months to make the request. The later it is the better the reason needs to be. But your health, particularly if it is something covered in the claim seems a pretty good reason to me.

Requesting a MR is saying 'Dear DWP, I believe that you got it wrong first time round, please will you look at it again. Love and kisses Purple Dino''. This obviously opens up the technical possibility of them giving you less. I have only heard of that happening once, and that was a very exceptional and unique case. When I am writing a MR I always start by stating which parts of the decision I agree with, don't know if that makes any difference, but it feels good to me. They always normally reply saying you agree with the awards in these sections...and then go on to say what they think about the activities you are disputing.

If they were to change your Mobility Award down, you can always appeal, and use as evidence their intial decision.

Not doing a MR now should not affect future awards, but in my experience they very often start a revision with the assumption that the previous award was correct, so you possibly give yourself a steeper hill to climb in the future. (If it applies, I will fairly often start a review submission with 'I do not agree with my previous award, but because (and give reason) I was unable to challenge it. It is therefore unsafe to rely on my previous award as a basis for this review.

Wishing you the correct award
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT , Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, C

More
1 week 3 days ago #290663 by Sheila 966
Replied by Sheila 966 on topic How long after PIP awarded to do M/R?

It says I don't forget medication, but I said to the assessor that I recently realised I do forget medication, because I didn't finish a supply when I thought I would; I don't know how often I forget to take my medication, because I HAVE FORGOTTEN IT and don't have anyone to prompt or remind me!! :S

Hi, just re medication - a daily pill box is an effective way of keeping track of medication - keep it by the kettle/coffee machine or some place similar - my daughter also uses a tick sheet/chalkboard as a double check!

Best of luck with the MR, maybe have a good look at the guides or any specific disability sites - there's lots of ideas for aids that you may not have considered that may help you with daily living.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.