× Members

Advice please

More
2 weeks 4 days ago #290681 by Spennywen
Advice please was created by Spennywen
Dear Mods
could you please help with any advice you can provide.
My nephew is presently on ESA, Housing Benefits and PIP, he is due to inherit a large amount of money, my question is, what should he do asap and what will happen in the overall picture.
I look forward to your reply and help, thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #290705 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic Advice please
Hi Spennywen,

Whilst it shouldn't interfere with PIP, it is more than likely to with ESA and housing benefits. It is likely that you will need to inform the DWP. There are rules in place in relation to some forms of large inheritance/backdated payments, but not sure of them all. Your best bet would be to contact Citizens Advice in my eyes, so they can advise you better. However, others who have been in this situation, may comment with better advice.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spennywen

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #290759 by denby
Replied by denby on topic Advice please
If the person leaving the money has already died, it will be too late for this info.
But putting it up in case not, and anyway to help others who know this situation is going to arise in future.
If a person due to inherit is on Higher rate DLA or PIP Enhanced [DL I think], they can be classed as a vulnerable person. A solicitor can set up a simple Vulnerable Person's Trust. [Details on .gov.uk]. The inheritance goes into the Trust, which can have any trusted person/s as Trustees. The Vulnerable Person does not have direct access to the cash, therefore DWP cannot stop their means tested benefits due to going over any capital limits.
Hope this is helpful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris

Moderators: GordonlatetrainBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.