× Members

Very strange letter about incapacity benefit but I have NEVER claimed it!? Help!

More
2 weeks 6 days ago #290810 by LJC7
I have recently become self employed alongside my employment and set up for this with HMRC. I got a letter today that acknowledged this start date but then said that their records show that I made a claim for Incapacity Benefit on 6th April 2022, and that the claim is still open. I have never in my life made a claim for anything remotely like this and have been working since 2014. My only reason that I belong here is for my son’s PIP claim as I am his appointee. I have never claimed anything like this or had any examination or medical.

Several things don’t seem right about this letter. There are no phone numbers at all on it to contact, the gov.uk website is just that with no forward slash anything. The address is genuine but no contact numbers at all. There is a QR code that opens up a link to a Japanese government bond!? All very dodgy. The envelope was the usual HMRC etc but so little detail elsewhere.

What worries me is that my NI number and initial info re registering for self employment is correct. Does this mean someone in HMRC is using my details? There was no contact number on the letter so I phoned Job Centre Plus who told me that IB was an old type of claim and will get someone to phone me. I’m very unsettled by this though so any previous experience or advice welcomed thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 6 days ago - 2 weeks 6 days ago #290813 by LL26
Hi LJC7,
I have to admit what you gave described does sound dodgy, especially the QR code leading to Japanese Bond.
Given that you opened a link you may have unwittingly allowed a virus into your computer, so it may be wise to change your passwords and run antivirus software if you have this.
You may well get a call from HMRC that offers a sensible explanation.
I'm afraid I can't help any further, but other Mods/members may have more information. However, thank you for posting because this may serve as an alert to others. LL26

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by LL26.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, Sheila 966, C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.