× Members

The future of PIP

More
1 week 4 days ago #291083 by pipsqueak
The future of PIP was created by pipsqueak
When this "lovely" government announced changes to PIP recently, my heart sunk. Everything points to eradicating PIP and any form of disability benefits full stop.
Now, today's Benefits and Work's newsletter confirms my worst fears as it mentions the migration of PIP onto UC. Since, but please tell me if I'm wrong, benefits under the UC umbrella are means tested, this means that those of us who work and are in receipt of PIP will either lose PIP or have to stop working, being forced to apply to one of the work related benefits.
In my case, I don't earn very much at all but I am also a part-time student. I cannot claim UC because the DWP treat my student loan as an income (the form asked for the full amount which covers 7 years). My PIP claim is also under review (12 months and counting, currently waiting for the face to face farcical "assessment").
Labour have already said many times that they would not abolish UC and some Labour MPs on the right of the party (e.g., Alison McGovern) support the gvt's planned changes.
This means I can see no future whatsoever. My disability is for life and I will never earn enough to survive without PIP which has allowed me to work, be a productive member of society (they love that, don't they, politicians) and be independent. What a vile society we live, and die, in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 4 days ago #291097 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic The future of PIP
pip

I think you have misread the Newsletter, there is no intention to move PIP into UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katathome01

More
1 week 3 days ago #291114 by CCG
Replied by CCG on topic The future of PIP
It’s ESA that is being migrated to UC - not PIP so don’t fret. There’s also no suggestion that PIP becomes Means Tested like other benefits. This is because PIP like DLA was set up to cater to the additional costs of daily living caused by disability regardless of whether you are able to work or not. This is all pre election sabre rattling and dog whistle politics by the Tory Party to cater to the bigots who think that all benefits claimants are ‘scroungers’ and ‘work shy’ ! Unfortunately this is amplified by the right wing press with no regard for the stress and distress caused to those who are sick/disabled.
The following user(s) said Thank You: an ex nurse, Linz, Sheila 966, Wendy Woo, Tuliptrees, den1mon, Chris

More
1 week 3 days ago #291125 by Chris
Replied by Chris on topic The future of PIP
Brilliantly commented on CCG!

I totally agree with you in relation to the politics comments.

Chris.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sheila 966, Wendy Woo

More
1 week 3 days ago #291132 by lesley
Replied by lesley on topic The future of PIP
Yes I agree. Very well put.

More
6 days 2 hours ago #291290 by Katathome01
Replied by Katathome01 on topic The future of PIP
I agree with you.

Only today, I read in 2 'Papers', articles that made it seem as though the changes the Tories are continuously talking about, are actually going ahead.

There was no attempt, whatsoever, in letting the reader know, that this is only at the Green Paper stage.

The whole tone of the two articles today, plus a few I've read over the last week, about these changes, are all fait accompli in tone.

I actually came onto the Forum to check this, because they ALL write this change as fact, not as suggestion!

Our Media, in the UK, are obviously touting the Tory line, to the bitter death! :(

Katathome

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.