× Members

Supporting A PIP application.

More
1 week 3 days ago #291170 by bornagain
Supporting A PIP application. was created by bornagain
Hello. I wonder if anyone can advise. I am helping a younger friend with chronic mental health problems, in particular Bipolar and Anxiety Disorders, make an application for PIP. I notice that there seems to be opportunity for somebody connected to the applicant to add a statement to their application.

Over 12 years, I've encouraged the person to seek medical help, wrangled with systems and organisations, taken them to and accompanied them in appointments, closely checked their welfare, often on a daily basis, and so on. I've witnessed all their symptoms and the effect of their conditions on their life, the tortuous path towards diagnosis and appropriate meds, some awful side effects of inappropriate meds and dosages, been present in circumstances that involved Health Care Crisis Teams, Emergency Services .....

I'd like to add something to their PIP application, but I'm unsure what would be most helpful to include, and how to pitch a statement of this sort. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 3 days ago #291177 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic Supporting A PIP application.
Hello bornagain,
What a good friend you are!
And yes, a supporting letter from you can only help the application. What they are looking for is what level of support your friend needs on an ongoing basis. By all means mention that you have had to help out in times of crisis, but focus on the regular daily help you, and others provide. Cover why do you need to monitor their welfare so closely, what in particular are you looking out for, what might go wrong etc etc. Use the PIP form as a guide as to what areas they are going to be looking at, but I would suggest that you don't have to stick to those descriptors rigidly. You are helping to paint a picture of the person as a whole.
Hope this helps a little,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wendy Woo, bornagain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris