× Members

ESA/UC ASSESSMENT

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #291604 by axab43
ESA/UC ASSESSMENT was created by axab43
I have had severe depression/anxiety for a while now and have been with the Community Mental Health team. Because of social phobias, I have been unable to see them face to face, which they were not happy about. I had a medication review from a trainee Psychiatrist and she has written a letter to my doctor which contain several inaccuracies. Being as she is a psychiatrist, I am wary about the Community Mental Health team believing she got the assessment wrong but she has quoted several things which aren't true.

Do you think I should challenge this? She acknowledges I cannot go out of the house or see anyone but says I can cope with things around the house, which I can't. I'm not sure what to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #291621 by Catherine
Replied by Catherine on topic ESA/UC ASSESSMENT
Hello axab43,

This is a difficult one, because you want an accurate report as evidence for your assessment but you also need to keep a good working relationship with your mental health team.

If you are up to doing it - the best option would be to contact the psychiatrist who wrote the letter and point out that she got some details wrong. You might find that she is very receptive to putting things right. (You will probably have to go through the secretary, but you will know how your particular team work.)

The next question I would ask is does what she has inaccurately written actually make a difference to the assessment. To take a silly example if she said you were wearing a blue top and you were actually wearing a red one, it really does not matter and is not worth the fight.

Assuming that that does not apply you need to think who the next most approachable person is - possibly your GP who has hopefully known you for a while. He/She may be willing to write to supplementary letter explaining that the psychiatrist did not know you well, and they had some details wrong.

If that fails, and you are not in a position to pay for a private assessment, I fear you may have to face it down with the DWP.

HOWEVER, I suspect from what little you have said in your post that there is probably enough in the letter to give you the evidence that you need. (and please remember we do not give individual advice here)

I will be interested to hear what other tips our members have,
Catherine

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: KABTT

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291708 by axab43
Replied by axab43 on topic ESA/UC ASSESSMENT
Thanks. I talked to the psychiatrist and she has agreed to change the letter and removed the diagnosis "moderate depression." She has just written the things which I said in the letter but said they have not had a face to face as I find face to face interaction extremely stressful.

From what I can see of the Universal Credit assessment, this and not being able to go out will be enough to cover me successfully getting on Universal Credit anyway. This is what I have to think as my mental ill health is so bad now I'm not sure I can handle much more stress about any of this. (I'm already losing a lot of my hair through stress etc. Cannot afford much more.)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.