× Members

Requesting PIP telephone assessment to be recorded

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291729 by Dellilah
I received a text today, two weeks after returning my completed PIP form - which seemed kind of quick to me? - saying my telephone assessment will be on the 6th of June, so in another two weeks. I was really hoping (praying) I’d somehow miraculously be granted a paper assessment but of course this was not to be. Also I didn’t expect two weeks notice and was thinking I’d just get the 7 day warning, which would actually have been preferable, because I suffer with terrible anxiety which has, since starting this process, been through the roof. Now I’m going to have ridiculous anxiety until the call, so it would have been better in that regard to just suffer for 7 days.

My question is, how do I ask for the assessment to be recorded? I’ve probably seen this in the guides somewhere but I’m not thinking straight since getting the text and wondered if someone might be able to tell me first hand what to do.

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times before. I have been reading the forum all day (about ten pages of it) and haven’t seen this asked. I’m sure if I did a search I’d find it, but like I said, i feel like my anxiety has got anxiety right now.

This is my first ever PIP claim, despite being on ESA/incapacity benefit for the best part of a decade. The reason I’ve never claimed is because I didn’t want to go through this stress, but I can no longer make my ESA cover life costs.

I wish the people who say that all benefits claimants are defrauding the government could experience how extremely distressing this actually feels. It’s horrendous.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Charlie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291733 by BIS
Hi Dellilah

You should receive a letter about the assessment, in which case you can ring the number and ask for it to be recorded. Some people leave it until the day of their assessment and ask the assessor to record it - however, they may not agree, and you could find your assessment is cancelled at the last minute.

We advise that even if they agree to record, you make your own covert recording at the same time if possible.

I know you're worried, but do try reading the Guide to PIP Claims and Reviews and the pages on telephone assessments so you know what to expect and what questions you are likely to be asked.

BIS

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dellilah, Charlie

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291742 by Dellilah
Thank you, BIS. I used the guides to do the form and honestly thought I couldn’t have given them any more information. It’s the knowledge that even though I’ve already been as clear as possible they still want to put me through this assessment - I know everyone has to do it - and that everything is based on this one subjective reading of my behaviour during one phone call. It’s just too much.

Incidentally, I’ve been a member of B&W for many years and your guides have assisted me through every ESA claim. I cross-referenced all of my ‘answers’ - I always say that completing these forms feel like an exam, but lately I’ve changed my mind. They feel like you’re on trial and guilty until proven innocent.

I digress. I was saying that I cross-referenced my answers with my last ESA form to make sure they corresponded and if I do say so myself, that form could not have been any better. In fact, my last ESA review (the form I’m talking about) was from 2013 and I have been expecting a reassessment for years but somehow have not had one. Much to my relief. It’s bizarre: I have phoned the DWP every couple of years to see if one was on the cards and was told that I would have one in November of last year, so 10 years after my last one. It didn’t happen, but at least I know if it does I’ll be prepared (hopefully) after putting myself through all of this.

I think I’m rambling now. Has anyone else experienced such a long period without reassessment? Perhaps I could start a new topic.

Thank you again for your reply.

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291746 by denby
Dear Dellilah, besides BIS's wise advice, if your doctor will write a letter specifying that a telephone assessment would cause your Overwhelming Psychological Distress [DWP actually use the abbreviation OPD], this may result in you being able to argue for a paper based assessment. However for a first claim, it might be worth going through the phone one. Once you have succeeded in getting PIP, to argue this for a future renewal, as I did for our daughter, is perhaps easier.
Hang on in there, we are all supporting you. You may have seen in the News section, that only 3 in every 1,000 PIP claimants are fraudulent, from DWPs OWN recent figures. Yes it's higher for some other benefits, but nowhere near certain papers would have readers believe!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dellilah, Charlie

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291757 by Dellilah
Thank you, denby, for your kind response. I think for future reference I will do as you suggest re the OPD, because it’s true, I am completely overwhelmed psychologically.

No wonder some people give up when faced with so many hoops to jump through, what with the thought of mandatory reconsiderations and what have you. I mean, one stage of this horrible process is even called a ‘tribunal’. No wonder I (and probably so many others) feel guilty until proven innocent.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.