× Members

SDP and Transitional element

More
3 weeks 3 days ago #291818 by ESAY
SDP and Transitional element was created by ESAY
Hi, can anyone help with a couple of questions on SDP and transitional payments please.

Whilst receiving ESA Income and Contributions based I qualified for PIP Daily Standard and Mobility Higher rates on mandatory reconsideration which was backdated.

? Should I also receive SDP inline with PIP? And, if so, should this be backdated to PIP start date?

When I moved home I was transferred to UC to claim Housing Benefit so lost ESA Income related but kept ESA contributions based which is deducted from the UC, PIP remained in place.

? Should I also be entitled to the transition protection payment on being moved to UC?

So far I have been unable to get through on the phone to DWP so I have written to them several times with no response so far.

Any clarity on my situation would be very much appreciated 🙏
Additional information and advice is also very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #291847 by Gary
Replied by Gary on topic SDP and Transitional element
Hi ESAY

Welcome to the forum.

You might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is; www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/guides-for-claimants/faq/forum.

The SDP became payable from the first day that all three of the following applied.

1. You had an award of ESA and we’re receiving or were entitled to receive Income Related ESA or Pension Credit.

2. You had an award of PIP Daily Living

3. You met the criteria for payment of the SD Premium, namely that you lived alone or were considered to be living alone and no one receives Carers Allowance against your PIP award.

Payment of SDP would depend on your circumstances at the time of your PIP award, we would advise you to seek help from your local Welfare Rights Organisation; advicelocal.uk .

When you moved home to another local authority, your housing benefit would have stopped and you would have had to apply for Universal Credit for the housing element, this is classed as natural migration and you would not be entitled to claim the transitional element. To get the transitional element you have to receive a letter from DWP inviting you to apply for UC.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #291871 by AshleyMcab
Replied by AshleyMcab on topic SDP and Transitional element
However - Transitional Protection ?

Severe Disability Premium and Universal Credit
The Severe Disability Premium does not exist in Universal Credit.

If you were entitled to a Severe Disability Premium on Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or income-related Jobseeker's Allowance at the time you claimed Universal Credit, you are entitled to transitional protection.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.