× Members

Post IB medical points system enquiry ?

• 1smallpole
  • Topic Author
13 years 11 months ago #19086 by 1smallpole
Post IB medical points system enquiry ? was created by 1smallpole
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me how they point score on someone who gets bed-ridden with muscle spasm ( nearly every other day because of discs crushing my nerves) but once this excrutiating pain subsides can with some degree of pain and struggle still get about ?
I joined this forum after my recent IB PCA medical, which I felt was a disaster as my answers to ?'s like, 'can you get up the stairs ?' were answered with a, 'yes, BUT.... then being over-ridden with the next question. (Social compliance and fear of the intimidating Doctor left me sat there, not feeling I could speak my piece how dumb )!!!!
Like most people here, I'm now left wondering if I've been stuffed, as it were.
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing.I just wondered if my EMS decided to only give half my answer 'yes' excluding the BUT(when I can do some things)thus losing me points, could these be made back when I was able to explain I can't do anything, when I'm in bed.
I just don't understand the point system.
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 11 months ago #19098 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:Post IB medical points system enquiry ?
Take a look at the 'Incapacity Benefit Handbook for Approved Doctors' in particular the details from page 59 onwards which describes how the points are decided.

You can download the above from the Incapacity Benefit resources from the Members Section.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• 1smallpole
  • Topic Author
13 years 11 months ago #19112 by 1smallpole
Replied by 1smallpole on topic Re:Post IB medical points system enquiry ?
Thank you for your speedy response Gareth. Very interesting reading.
Still,until that letter lands on your doorstep, you simply have no idea !

• Austinp008
13 years 11 months ago #19119 by Austinp008
Replied by Austinp008 on topic Re:Post IB medical points system enquiry ?
Hi I hope all goes well with you but I have to say my last medical was a nightmare and being the honest and explanatory person I am I gave answers to the questions and then tried to explain being cut of in the process and the dr moving to next question. In my case they totally ignored the explanations and only took note of the initial reply like can you put the rubbish out I replied yes but then explained as long as it wasnt heavy and only small amounts to the bin at the back door Can you use a washing machine yes if someone loads and unloads it I can press buttons. Unfortunately the yes was the only parts recorded and failure followed. I hope this doesnt happen to you but like you say hindsight is a great thing and I will only be giving them my worst day instances in future as any fluctuation in condition is seen as your cured. No wonder people lying through their teeth are ok as they will just say no and refuse to explain and those that try to explain the whole effect of their illness get penalised for explaining good and bad days

• 1smallpole
  • Topic Author
13 years 11 months ago #19124 by 1smallpole
Urgh, just as I thought. Woman's intuition, I have the gut feeling.....
I fully intend to appeal - should it go **** up,so I can explain fully my yes's, I can get up the stairs, adding a further, very slowly on my bottom or desperately clutching the handrail ! It is a total joke. That is why it is so desperately pitying for those who try, or struggle, or just feel so damn embarrassed and humiliated that they fail to submit their full response.
I have been getting on and off the loo, holding onto the sink since, forever, it seems second nature. I will fail by not adding this.
This is why these sites are so important. To inform and advise.
One might think, well, if you actually did use the sink.... wouldn't you just say that......seems not, and er yes, I do.

• 1smallpole
  • Topic Author
13 years 11 months ago #19125 by 1smallpole
May I ask AustinP did you appeal ?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.