× Members

Worried about previous owners claim

More
13 years 10 months ago #19185 by Jude
Hi, yesterday I opened by mistake,a letter for the previous owner ( We purchased our house three years ago) which clearly stated he is now in
receipt of benefits. What alarmed me was that he is obviously using our address for his claim. I immediately telephoned my husband who is working away at the moment.He told me to contact the benefit fraud squad, which I did. A neighbour then told me this man has ran up huge debts,and owes money everywhere. Today, there has been a car parked outside, watching our home from 8am this morning until quite late this evening.I feel very uneasy being watched.If the car is there over the weekend, should I approach them and ask them if they are the fraud squad? also should I show them the land registry documents to prove ownership and also our council tax bill, in order to prove this man does not live at our address? I am in receipt of DLA and thanks to the help I received from this site, have had an award for five years. Will this in any way affect my benefit now? I have just been diagnosed with Angina and with my husband away working away I am very worried and would appreciate any advice. thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #19188 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:Worried about previous owners claim
Hi Jude,

It seems etremely unlikely that the DWP would have sent someone round to watch your house within 24 hours of receiving a call from you.

In fact, as you told them this person no longer lives at your address, they are much more likely to try to find their current address by checking the many databases and records that they have access to.

It's also possible that this was simply an error by the DWP and that they sent correspondence to the claimant's old address by mistake.

I don't think you should approach the people in the car. If you think they are watching your house call the police and ask them to go and check on them.

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 10 months ago #19211 by Jude
Replied by Jude on topic Re:Worried about previous owners claim
Hi Steve,
Thanks so much for replying.I did give the make and model and reg number of the previous owners car to the fraud squad when I rang them, as it was on the letter from the solicitor who is acting for the Mercedes car dealer.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.