× Members

Blue Badge Scheme

• zjturner
  • Topic Author
13 years 10 months ago #19886 by zjturner
Blue Badge Scheme was created by zjturner
Hi everyone, this is just a quickie query, but i wondered if possessing a blue badge can help towards your DLA Appeal. I was turned down for DLA, and my GP suggested i tried separetly for a blue badge to at least help me get around, i did this, didn't think anything of it (because with DLA turning me down, i assumed anything connected with Disability would have the same outcome), only to get the surprise of my life, when the clock and card arrived through my door.

So i'm wondering does having one of these, put any weight on a DLA assessment at all, or is it a seperate entity?

Many thanks :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #19890 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:Blue Badge Scheme
I may be wrong but I would suggest that having a Blue Badge would put little or any weight to a DLA appeal as the criteria for receiving DLA is somewhat more involved.

Jim who is our DLA tribunal expert may be able to give definitive advice on this matter.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Gareth56.

More
13 years 10 months ago #19893 by anne
Replied by anne on topic Re:Blue Badge Scheme
I am glad that you asked this Q zjturner, although mine is the other way round. I was awarded DLA and have been hesitating about sending off an application for a Blue Badge. The criteria ( for BB) seem very strict to me and I doubt that I would be eligable. So my Q - could an application for a BB have any impact on already awarded DLA.

More
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #19895 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:Blue Badge Scheme
It should be noted that if you have been awarded the Higher Rate Mobility Component of DLA then you automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.

An application for a BB has no impact on your DLA award. TO get your BB you just have to send in a copy of the award letter with the completed application form and correct fee (£2)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Gareth56.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 10 months ago #19898 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Blue Badge Scheme
Gareth wrote:

I may be wrong but I would suggest that having a Blue Badge would put little or any weight to a DLA appeal as the criteria for receiving DLA is somewhat more involved.

Jim who is our DLA tribunal expert may be able to give definitive advice on this matter.

Hi Gareth,

You are quite correct in what you state. The problem being that there is no national scheme for blue badge assessment. Those in receipt of DLA HRM automatically qualify for a BB, but having a BB doesn't automatically entitle DLA mobility component.

I'm away from home at present convalescing, so suggest the poster try this link :
Blue Badge Scheme

Enjoy this fantastic sunshine.

Kind regards.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• migmogs
13 years 10 months ago #19907 by migmogs
Replied by migmogs on topic Re:Blue Badge Scheme
my husband has been turned down twice for DLA .........yet he has been awarded his Blue Badge after undergoing a medical for one.......as the Dr who examined him realised that he has mobility problems....and awarded a blue badge acordingly to him, to help him get around

so for us my husbands award of a Blue Badge didn't help him at all to qualify for DLA

which is non sensical..as it was a Government Dr that awarded his much needed Blue Badge

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.