× Members

debt and DLA

More
13 years 10 months ago #20246 by fibromac
debt and DLA was created by fibromac
Hi

My question is this I dont work and I get incapacity benefit, Industrial injury benefit and income support, I also claim DLA at high rate. Do I have to declare the DLA to a creditor for consumer debt or if I am taken to court would the court take my DLA off me to pay for consumer debt and if the answer is yes to the court question what would happen if I am denied DLA or lose my appeal at my next review.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hazel
13 years 10 months ago #20336 by Hazel
Replied by Hazel on topic Re:debt and DLA
You have to declare all benefits/income to consumer credit council (we just did after OH loosing his IB)
Although DLA is for help with getting around it was used in the calculation for debt management plan
Consumer Credit Council have bene really helpfull give them a call.

More
13 years 10 months ago #20370 by fibromac
Replied by fibromac on topic Re:debt and DLA
Hi Thanks Hazel

I have to pay a cleaner and someone to shop for food out of my DLA and there is nothing left, I have contacted the cccs but they cant help because I cant pay them the minimum they require so the information I need is can a court take my DLA off me to pay my creditors and if yes what would happen if the DLA was not given to me at my next review.
thanks

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 10 months ago #20373 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:debt and DLA
As moderators, we are not qualified to give advice on debt, most CAB's have Debt Counsellors, so you could seek help from them.

However, if you were to lose your DLA, which you shouldn't if your care and/or mobility needs haven't changed, then the payments you are required to pay would have to be looked at again and reduced.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Karen
13 years 10 months ago #20412 by Karen
Replied by Karen on topic Re:debt and DLA
Hi
I used the CAB with debt advice and they were most helpful. You do have to declare all income. They also do a budget plan to see what your out goings are. If you have more out going then coming in they suggest offering your creditors £1.00 token payment per month. Most of my creditors accepted this with the exception of a high street bank. Budget plans need to be reviewed regularly so if DLA is stopped then you would have to do a new budget plan.
Hope this helps.

More
13 years 10 months ago #20524 by fibromac
Replied by fibromac on topic Re:debt and DLA
Hi Jima1

Thanks for that I will try and contact the

CAB

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.