× Members

ESA and lengthy holiday in Europe

• lain
  • Topic Author
13 years 10 months ago - 13 years 10 months ago #20404 by lain
ESA and lengthy holiday in Europe was created by lain
I receive contribution based ESA and have been 'parked' by the Shaw Trust until next January. I know you cannot answer personal questions but would be grateful for any information on the following (I have looked at the thread on IB and living abroad - and the Spain one):
If a person and their husband were to travel for about 3 months in our caravan around France/Spain etc, would this affect the person's ESA - could they still receive it? Would this person have to inform ESA/Jobcentre of their travel plans, or would it just be regarded as an extended holiday?
Thankyou for your help! Lainie x
Last edit: 13 years 10 months ago by Steve Donnison.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 10 months ago #20418 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:ESA and lengthy holiday in Europe
Hi,

As I'm now retired as a WRO, I'm not up-to-date with ESA, as it only replaced IB for new claimants from November 2009.

I do remember that for IB, claimants were obliged to let the DWP know if they were leaving home, even for a short period.

Presumably, this is still the case for ESA.

Perhaps Crazydiamond our moderator who was an Adjudication Officer for the former DSS (now called Decision Makers and working for the DWP) could give a more definitive answer.

Kind regards.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 10 months ago #20445 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:ESA and lengthy holiday in Europe
Jima1 wrote:

Hi,

As I'm now retired as a WRO, I'm not up-to-date with ESA, as it only replaced IB for new claimants from November 2009.

I do remember that for IB, claimants were obliged to let the DWP know if they were leaving home, even for a short period.

Presumably, this is still the case for ESA.

Perhaps Crazydiamond our moderator who was an Adjudication Officer for the former DSS (now called Decision Makers and working for the DWP) could give a more definitive answer.

Kind regards.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You are correct.

The strict letter of the law insofar as benefits/allowances such as IB and ESA are concerned, determines that you should inform the DWP of any intended absence from your usual address, however short the absence may be.

The purpose is that the DWP may need to contact you within the specified time limits to undergo either a PCA or WCA. Why this should be the case I do not know, because if the rules are applied properly, you have a maximum of six weeks to return the IB50/ESA50. That said, a short break of a week or two shouldn't make any difference. However, different SS benefits have different rules for absence abroad, so it is best to inform the DWP at the earliest opportunity preferably in writing, especially if the absence is intended to be for three months, as in the OP's case.

Regards,
CD

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• lain
  • Topic Author
13 years 10 months ago #20462 by lain
Replied by lain on topic Re:ESA and lengthy holiday in Europe
Thank you for your answers, and for your ongoing help!¬ Lainie x

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.