× Members

new business

• eliza
  • Topic Author
13 years 10 months ago #20432 by eliza
new business was created by eliza
Hi, I have had IB for 3 years and had WFI about 3 months back. i get LRC. I am mid fifties and female and they have moved the goalposts now I have to work until 65. That is not possible for me 3 years ago it became a struggle for a normal job.
I look fine, I have MS for 12 years.
The Question.
My husband is starting up an internet business in his name. We dont know if it will work. It is not going to earn megabucks but may be hopefully be near my IB income. We get no income support as hubby earns enough. so I just need to work to cover IB if or when I get thrown off it.
So when its up and running he is going to train me to do it and "buy" or transfer the business to me. Then come clean to the DWP. Will I be doing anything illegal. Any money made will be in his paypal account but put in a new joint account???
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #20436 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:new business
Hi Eliza,

This isn't a question we can answer as it does depend very much on your circumstances.

However, in general, if money from a business is paid directly into a joint account then you would need to get advice as that might count as income for benefits purposes.

In addition, as soon as you start doing anything in relation to the business - including getting trained - that would be something you would have to declare to the DWP and may affect your eligibility for benefits. It would be worth looking at our guide to permitted work and getting advice about whether you could do what you are planning under the permitted work rules.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.