Login FormClose

Free, fortnightly PIP, ESA and UC Updates

Our fortnightly bulletin, with over 80,000 subscribers, is the UK's leading source of benefits news. Find out what's changing, how it affects you and how to prepare. Our mailing list is securely managed by icontact in the US.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password:
Remember me
Members
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: ESA - need help on understanding!

ESA - need help on understanding! 9 years 5 months ago #20602

  • Michelle
Hello. At the moment I'm on SDA/IS and DLA. I am hoping to move in with my partner who claims Income Support on the grounds of disability. We've both been on benefits a long time and both have ME, and my partner also has Fibromyalgia.

We've been told that when we move in together and put in a joint claim then we'll be moved to ESA. I've done a bit of reseach into in, trying to figure things out but it's all very confusing. I've read some posts here from people who're already on it and am wondering if we got put into the Work Support group (which seems to be the best we can hope for) then what do the 6 interviews we have to go for consist of? How long are they - do they last hours? Would we have to attend any long courses, over consecutive days? And when the 6 interviews are done, what happens then? It's all pretty confusing and very daunting and worrying!

Also, do you get help with transport costs, getting to interviews or going on courses?

We've also been told (by someone from CAB) that we should submit our joint claim in the name of the person who is illest as this will be some help?

Many thanks for reading and look forward to being enlightened :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ESA - need help on understanding! 9 years 5 months ago #20650

Michelle wrote:

Hello. At the moment I'm on SDA/IS and DLA. I am hoping to move in with my partner who claims Income Support on the grounds of disability. We've both been on benefits a long time and both have ME, and my partner also has Fibromyalgia.

We've been told that when we move in together and put in a joint claim then we'll be moved to ESA. I've done a bit of reseach into in, trying to figure things out but it's all very confusing. I've read some posts here from people who're already on it and am wondering if we got put into the Work Support group (which seems to be the best we can hope for) then what do the 6 interviews we have to go for consist of? How long are they - do they last hours? Would we have to attend any long courses, over consecutive days? And when the 6 interviews are done, what happens then? It's all pretty confusing and very daunting and worrying!

Also, do you get help with transport costs, getting to interviews or going on courses?

We've also been told (by someone from CAB) that we should submit our joint claim in the name of the person who is illest as this will be some help?

Many thanks for reading and look forward to being enlightened :-)


I would recommend that your read the guide entitled MNP Training ESA, which should provide an answer to most, if not all the questions you have asked. It is available be scrolling down to the guide HERE.

With regard to your question about who should make the claim for ESA, it was always advantageous for the person who was the most incapacitated to claim Income Support on the grounds of illness/disability before the introduction of ESA, and so on the advice of the CAB, it is likely that this will also be the case with ESA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: by Crazydiamond. Reason: Corrected URL link.

Re:ESA - need help on understanding! 9 years 5 months ago #20654

  • Michelle
Hi, and many thanks for the reply. I couldn't get the link to work, however, it just said the page no longer existed?

Thanks also for clarifying things about the joint claim - it makes sense, but I'd never heard it before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ESA - need help on understanding! 9 years 5 months ago #20656

Michelle wrote:

Hi, and many thanks for the reply. I couldn't get the link to work, however, it just said the page no longer existed?

Thanks also for clarifying things about the joint claim - it makes sense, but I'd never heard it before.


Thank you for the information about the link not working. I have corrected the problem which was caused by a rogue character in the URL address.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Re:ESA - need help on understanding! 9 years 5 months ago #20747

  • Michelle
Thanks so much for the corrected link - it works a treat now :-)

I've read some of it but found it hard reading though, quite complicated and in 'official' speak. Does anyone know of anywhere I could find a simpler guide or experiences of people who're on ESA?

Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:ESA - need help on understanding! 9 years 5 months ago #20757

Michelle wrote:

Thanks so much for the corrected link - it works a treat now :-)

I've read some of it but found it hard reading though, quite complicated and in 'official' speak. Does anyone know of anywhere I could find a simpler guide or experiences of people who're on ESA?

Many thanks.


A simpler guide is available in the ESA resources section, the first in the list, entitled Understanding Employment and Support Allowance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: by Crazydiamond.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: GordonGaryBIS