× Members

How soon can I apply for ESA?

More
13 years 10 months ago #20938 by mermaid
How soon can I apply for ESA? was created by mermaid
Hello I am a new member. My first attempt at writing an enquiry I think went into a black hole (my fault) .... hopefully I will get it right this time.

I am on SSP which is shortly to run out, and therefore have to apply for ESA. I am wondering how soon can I apply for this? ie I would rather apply in advance once I have the exact date from my employer of the date that SSP runs out as I know from bitter experience that it can take weeks for the benefit to come through (currently 6 weeks or is that optimistic?)

I think I may have read somewhere else that you can apply up to 4 weeks in advance if you have the date?

The other complication is that it is likely that I will soon get ill health dismissal, and if I do get this then they will pay me about 4 weeks pay. Will this money really muck up the ESA situation big time?

Of course I know that they will have to deduct it off anything that they pay me (at least I am assuming this to be so), but will it affect the whole procedure at all other than this ... I have no faith in the system and fear that I might have to restart the application if this happens?

Thank you in advance for your replies. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 10 months ago #20939 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:How soon can I apply for ESA?
mermaid wrote:

Hello I am a new member. My first attempt at writing an enquiry I think went into a black hole (my fault) .... hopefully I will get it right this time.

I am on SSP which is shortly to run out, and therefore have to apply for ESA. I am wondering how soon can I apply for this? ie I would rather apply in advance once I have the exact date from my employer of the date that SSP runs out as I know from bitter experience that it can take weeks for the benefit to come through (currently 6 weeks or is that optimistic?)

I think I may have read somewhere else that you can apply up to 4 weeks in advance if you have the date?

The other complication is that it is likely that I will soon get ill health dismissal, and if I do get this then they will pay me about 4 weeks pay. Will this money really muck up the ESA situation big time?

Of course I know that they will have to deduct it off anything that they pay me (at least I am assuming this to be so), but will it affect the whole procedure at all other than this ... I have no faith in the system and fear that I might have to restart the application if this happens?

Thank you in advance for your replies. :)

You can claim ESA for up to three months in advance. Normally your employer is required to complete form SSP1 to support your ESA claim.

If you have paid sufficient NI contributions, you will receive contribution-based ESA and therefore any final payment received from your employer, should not prevent you from receiving the full rate of ESA appropriate to your circumstances, which usually will be at the assessment rate.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 10 months ago #20945 by mermaid
Replied by mermaid on topic Re:How soon can I apply for ESA?
Thank you very much for that helpful info. I have got onto it straight away and my employer is sending it to me. I am trying to plan this like a military campaign as I feel that is the way it has to be approached!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.