× Members

Who would follow me: the DWP or Insurance Company

• linsky
  • Topic Author
13 years 9 months ago #22215 by linsky
On 14th June 2010 a lone man dressed casually came to my home asking for me by name. When I told him that I was that person, he then asked my D.O.B. I called him in to see what it was about (a bit daft really, but just a spontaneous reaction) He then told me that someone by my name had been left a lot of money by a relative in Cardiff.

I immediately told him that it could not be me as I never have had any relatives in Cardiff.

I then became (a little late) suspicious of this man). I asked him if I could photograph him, to which he immediately refused.
I then asked did he have any ID on him and he said "No"
Then I asked if there was anyone whom I could telephone to check things out. He again said "No"

I was trying to think on my feet at the time as I certainly was not expecting him, or his unhelpful replies.

He then said "I can see that it's not you by the 'age' of the person I'm looking for. He walked out of my home very quickly to his car which was parked approx 100 yards away and hidden from immediate sight. I got some of his Reg No. but not enough as he turned drove away too quickly.

Today, over two weeks later, the same man has been at the back of the flats where I live. It is a residential and private looking car park, but several mins after me driving in. I was still in the car park and he drove in, he was in a completely different car (brand new)
but upon seeing me, he drove straight out. My neighbour then called at my home to tell me that this man had been at the back of the flats again and was filming. He took the Reg and it was the same car.

Would the DWP if it was them act like this, they already have my D.O.B. of course, but maybe this man wanted to see my face.

Another possibility is that of an insurance company. 3 years ago, I had a car accident and the time is now fast approaching for this to be settled.

I am in receipt of DLA and some other benefits because of the accident.

In essence, who employs tactics like this 'The DWP or Insurance Companies'?

I do not mix in any dubious circles or anything of the sort, so they can be immediately ruled out.

Kind Regards,

Linsky :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22218 by Jeff1
Hi linsky, If you have a compensation claim due to be settled shortly i would contact your solicitor ASAP. Let them know what has been happening, then i would report it to the police again ASAP.In any event please let the local police know. Best Wishes

More
13 years 9 months ago #22220 by papasmurf
Contact the police.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22223 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic Re:Who would follow me: the DWP or Insurance Company
linsky wrote:

In essence, who employs tactics like this 'The DWP or Insurance Companies'?

debt collectors.

Shortly after i moved into my last home i was plagued by them looking for the previous tenant. the first thing they asked (after me saying i was definitely not that person) was for my date of birth.

i firmly told them to go forth and multiply and slammed the door. they were relentless but got the message after a few months. it could be a case of identity theft?

anyway, its just a thought

• Eyupmiduck
13 years 9 months ago #22235 by Eyupmiduck
I would agree - debt collectors. They will say and do anything to track down their quarry. Highly unlikely to be the DWP, although they do use covert surveillance, it is usually the result of a tip-off from someone who thinks you shouldn't be getting your benefits.

I would report whoever it is to the police immediately. As far as you're concerned it could be anybody and if it were me I would regard them as a threat to my safety.

Good luck.

• linsky
  • Topic Author
13 years 9 months ago #22236 by linsky
No, it is not debt collectors as I have no debts.
Thanks for your input though.

Linsky

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.