× Members

Second ESA Medical

• Eyupmiduck
  • Topic Author
13 years 8 months ago #22241 by Eyupmiduck
Second ESA Medical was created by Eyupmiduck
Hi Everyone

I went for my second ESA medical earlier this week. I had my first one in April last year and was awarded the Support Group. I thought this meant I was done and dusted with forms and medicals, but no. Apparently this is going to be an annual treat for me - o joy! :(

The ESA50 form I completed last year, well I photocopied it and did this year's form by just writing exactly the same information on it, plus a bit extra about some back trouble following surgery. My primary condition is secondary progressive MS which is incurable. My point is, why should people with illnesses like MS have to go through all the rigmarole and stress of filling in forms and having repeated medicals? I mean, do they think it's like a hangover and all we've got to do is have a glass of Andrews and a fry-up?! :ohmy:

It was a boiling hot morning the day of the medical and I had to sit in a waiting room like a Turkish bath, full of screaming kids and cheesed off adults. They were running half an hour late with all the appointments and by the time I got in the doctor's office I just felt like getting on the bed and going to sleep.

The doctor himself was a pleasant, well-mannered asian chap who looked like he was coming up to retirement, but there were no clues as to what his qualifications were. Halfway through the medical he actually said to me, "Thank you very much for your patience, I'm learning a very great deal from you, Mrs X; MS is not my field"!!!!

You really have to be on the ball with these people as well. Despite his polite manner he persisted in asking leading questions, putting words into my mouth and converting yards into metres. Since metres are bigger than yards, this could have given a very misleading impression into how far I could walk etc. and I had to pull him up on this on several occasions. I also had to say, " No, I didn't say that" all the way through the medical. An example of the leading question stuff was, "You can do ironing - yes?", "You can lift pans - yes?", "You can bend - yes?" NO!!! By the time it was finished I felt like I'd done ten rounds with Ricky Hatton.

I don't know how long it will be before I get the results, but it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. If they awarded me Support Group last year and I submitted the same form with the same information this year, they can't really do anything other than award me Support Group this year, I would have thought. We shall see .. :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #22304 by marionf
Replied by marionf on topic Re: Second ESA Medical
Hi,

I love your sense of humour and your logic and I hope you get the outcome you're hoping for. We are only looking for some common sense after all from these people!!

Thanks for making me smile...

marion xx

• Eyupmiduck
  • Topic Author
13 years 8 months ago #22307 by Eyupmiduck
Replied by Eyupmiduck on topic Re: Second ESA Medical
A pleasure, Marion ... glad to know I still have my uses! xxx

• karene50
13 years 8 months ago #23251 by karene50
Replied by karene50 on topic Re: Second ESA Medical
Hi.

Was just wondering if you have heard anyhting yet?

Am keeping my fingers crossed for you. (owwww it hurts)

Karen x

• Eyupmiduck
  • Topic Author
13 years 8 months ago #23722 by Eyupmiduck
Replied by Eyupmiduck on topic Re: Second ESA Medical
Hi there,

It's now four weeks since my medical and I've heard nothing. However, I've just looked in my online bank account and whaddaya know?? My ESA has been cut by around £11 a fortnight. My conclusion? I've been kicked out of the Support Group and put in the Work Related Activity Group. Without any form of letter or communication, though, I'm effectively in limbo. Going on a little holiday until the weekend and setting off in a bit, so I'll have to hang fire until I get back. Hopefully then there will be a letter waiting for me from the DWP and I'll know what I'm up against. If they have 'demoted' me, I will be fighting it all the way. There is no way some random government lackey doctor with no knowledge of MS is going to determine MY future! :angry:

TTFN and will post again once I get my decision letter. xxxxxx

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.