× Members

IB and Open University

More
13 years 9 months ago #22534 by CelineL
IB and Open University was created by CelineL
I'm not sure whether this has been discussed before although I tried searching the forum so please forgive me if it has, I can't find the thread.

Whilst I'm waiting on the decision from the medical I had nearly two weeks ago, I would like to go ahead and register with the Open University to further my education. I've contacted the DWP to find out about their policy on part-time higher education whilst receiving IB and the lady I spoke to was less than helpful. As I previously had some issues with a UK university messing up their credits and subsequently jeopardizing my receiving JSA at the time, I'm very wary of anything like this happening again, I can't afford to survive on nothing and the reason I want to take a degree is to make myself employable again, in a field I enjoy.

So my question is this: has anyone here successfully retained receiving IB whilst studying with the OU and if so, what is the best course of action you would advise me as to notifying the DWP of this change of circumstances? I'm especially curious to find out that in the event of the benefit being withdrawn, would I be able to claim ESA whilst working part-time if it came to having to work to support myself whilst studying.

I'm like a lion in a cage and I feel that studying, even from home, would help my depression and make me feel like I can be of worth somehow. I really do want to go back into work at some point, not because I have to but because I can do.

Sorry, it was a bit long. Thanks for reading this far. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22623 by sharonoid
Replied by sharonoid on topic Re:IB and Open University
Hi, my husband has been doing an OU degree for almost 5 years now (nearly finished) and had no problems with the DWP and his IB.

Things may have changed since, but he had a medical last year and was asked about his progress. It has not affected his entitlement at any time. HTH

More
13 years 9 months ago #22649 by Adrianmidwales
Replied by Adrianmidwales on topic Re:IB and Open University
IB is not counted as a qualifying benefit for OU study how ever you may still qualify under there low income rules. It changes in September that they no longer provide grants for short courses to people on benefits only to courses which make up compulsory parts of a nominated degree course.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22657 by choogle
Replied by choogle on topic Re:IB and Open University
I have been studying part-time with the OU for just over 5 years whilst receiving IB. It's one of the things which helps to give me focus in my day-to-day existence. At no point (yet) have I experienced any problems from the DWP.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22659 by choogle
Replied by choogle on topic Re:IB and Open University
Because of Adrianmidwales post I've been looking for more info about financial assistance for OU study. It seems his post relates more to OU students in England and Wales,as there are different eligibility criteria for those in Scotland (where I live).

See css2.open.ac.uk/FafCalculator/eligibilit...FS=False&Country=ENI to work through the questions for more info.

More
13 years 9 months ago - 13 years 9 months ago #22662 by Gareth56
Replied by Gareth56 on topic Re:IB and Open University
This is one of the annoying things about the OU in that you could, living in Scotland, [theoretically] be a millionaire and still receive a full fee waiver by virtue that you claim IB and or DLA, extreme example I know but it highlights my point. However in the rest of the country a different (means tested) regime applies.

The Open University is one single University but it operates differently across different boarders; so perhaps not as "Open" as it could be!!

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Gareth56.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.