× Members

IB and Open University

More
13 years 9 months ago #22666 by CelineL
Replied by CelineL on topic Re:IB and Open University
Sharonoid & choogle: did you/your husband tell the DWP and if so, what did you tell them about studying? I'm worried about the 16 hours rule for permitted work mainly, would the course fall into that category and would my IB be capped because of it?

Adrianmidwales: my concern isn't about receiving financial help, as a disabled person I know I'm eligible for a grant and as I receive HB my fees would be waived too.

I already have gone through the financial help calculator and spoken to several OU advisers about fees and help so I'm not worried about that, only in the event that my IB is discontinued which would place me into hardship big time. Whilst 10 years ago I was able to find a part-time to support me (just), I don't feel I can do that now as my health isn't so good at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your input though, I appreciate it. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22673 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic Re:IB and Open University
read section 4 of this handbook. this applies to people doing onsite full and part time higher education www.skill.org.uk/uploads/media/Studying_...laiming_Benefits.doc
although I don't know if Scotland is any different.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22674 by choogle
Replied by choogle on topic Re:IB and Open University
I spoke to the DWP locally years back and told them that I was doing some part-time OU study, and there was no problems for me.

It depends on the type of course you will be doing, and how many hours. For example, if you were thinking of study which may be straying into the realms of full-time (ie, 15 hours+) then there could be question marks.

I've just phoned the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200 and was advised that basically 'it depends'. The example the woman gave was that 'if you're off work with a bad back and you want to do a bricklaying course...' it might not be appropriate. She advised to discuss with DWP direct, so maybe if you give your local office a call to anonomously discuss what you were maybe thinking?

I'm surprised that I wasn't able to find something more concrete online, but it does seem a bit weird that fee waiver applies for part-time study (in Scotland) whilst on IB, but that it's a matter that maybe provokes paranoia because of the uncertainty of specific advice.

I would also recommend that you perhaps don't look to over-extend yourself with OU study if you're not feeling too great. I think most OU courses say that you can expect to spend around 8 - 12 hours study per week.

Hope there's something useful in this!

More
13 years 9 months ago #22675 by choogle
Replied by choogle on topic Re:IB and Open University
CelineL...
Click on: www.skill.org.uk/page.aspx?c=14&p=147

Scroll down the page then click on' Studying and claiming benefits as 'Incapable of work'.

Maybe describes things a bit better than I did.

More
13 years 9 months ago #22704 by CelineL
Replied by CelineL on topic Re:IB and Open University
Thanks for that, I had already seen that, I have done extensive research as I want to be 100% (or near enough) sure that studying will not penalising my benefit. All your input is reassuring though. The course I have chosen is part-time (up to 16 hours a week of study) but I know from experience that the DWP and JC+ can be really picky about the hours and credits given to a course. It's worth giving a go I think though.

I will contact the DWP again and get a more specific answer from them. Thanks everyone again, it's all helpful. :)

More
13 years 9 months ago #22706 by SAMMIE
Replied by SAMMIE on topic Re:IB and Open University
Hi

I studied for 4 years while claiming IB, i never told them, because what i do in my own home is up 2 me, it stopped me going stir crazy and i felt worth something again.

Sam

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.