× Members

Weird Letter from DWP

More
13 years 8 months ago #22900 by chafur47
Weird Letter from DWP was created by chafur47
Am freaking out here. A letter was sent to me, telling me I may be entitled to Severe Disability Premium.

I think I am receiving this already.

Clear as mud as I know.

I am just worried that this is not as innocent as it looks!!

Any ideas?

I think I am in receipt of this, I am not sure/

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
13 years 8 months ago #22901 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Weird Letter from DWP
chafur47 wrote:

Am freaking out here. A letter was sent to me, telling me I may be entitled to Severe Disability Premium.

I think I am receiving this already.

Clear as mud as I know.

I am just worried that this is not as innocent as it looks!!

Any ideas?

I think I am in receipt of this, I am not sure/

Thanks

Hi,

Severe Disability Premium is an amount added to your 'Applicable Amount' if claiming Means Tested Benefits such as Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit etc. If single, it is normally claimable if one receives Disability Living Allowance Care Component at the Middle or Highest rates, and no one claims Carers Allowance for you and you live alone or are treated as living alone. There are seperate rules for couples.

The following Direct Gov page explains who may qualify, both single people and couples:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Fina...AndSupport/DG_068683

It can be added to other premiums such as the Disability Premium and if claiming the Highest Care component of DLA, the Enhanced Disability Premium - again the Direct Gov page explains if you may qualify for these as well.

As to whether you are currently receiving it or not, you will have to check your benefit award letters (or annual uprating letters)which should show if you are already receiving it. If single the Severe Disability Premium is currently worth £53.65 per week, for couples the lower rate is also £53.65, with the higher rate worth £107.30 per week.

Pete

• Survivor
13 years 8 months ago #22931 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re:Weird Letter from DWP
I had a letter like this. It happened when I moved house, which triggered something on their computers saying they had to reassess what I was entitled to, so if you've had any change of circumstances of any sort or any reassessment of any of your benefits, the computer may just have spewed this out automatically.

More
13 years 8 months ago #22932 by chafur47
Replied by chafur47 on topic Re:Weird Letter from DWP
I moved two weeks ago. I am already in receipt of the severe disability premium. I hope they now don't take it away.

There is a form enclosed in the letter concerning this benefit, which I am already in receipt of. It focuses on care, and if someone else is taking care of me and receiving Carer's Allowance, and if I am registered blind.

Should I phone them and tell that I am already in receipt of this benefit and that the letter was sent in error?

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.