× Members

is voluntary work worth doing?

More
13 years 8 months ago #23601 by Alan4950
is voluntary work worth doing? was created by Alan4950
I have a bit of a dilemma regarding whether or not to write to the DWP for permission to do a few hours helping students with their English. I used to be a teacher but had to retire in 1992 following a brain tumour(removed, obviously) and subsequent epilepsy which left me with memory/concentration/minor seizure problems that prevent me from doing any paid work. I'm on IC and DLA(middle rate care, low rate mobility. I've been studying part-time (languages) and would like to help overseas students living here to improve their English. The local college are prepared to let me sit with students but I fear that the DWP might take this as a sign that I can actually go back to full time teaching.
Reading other cases on the forum gives me the impression that the DWP is akin to the Gestapo and should not be given the slightest pretext for stopping someone's benefit and that any application to do voluntary work, such as the one I'm considering is tantamount to a signed confession that I am a malingering fraud. Any advice, please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23614 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:is voluntary work worth doing?
I can only give my personal experience, but I was in a similar position. I was informed by a volunteering organistion that a voluntary work agreement system is in place for some charity's/company's and the DWP. If you did any work for one of these particpating company's / charity's, they notified the DWP and sorted out all your paperwork. But I found very few places were signed up to it.

The idea behind the scheme was to prevent people from carrying out charity work and then getting their benefits stopped.

In the end I gave up. But what really did concern me was the DWP's attitude when I asked them about doing voluntary work. They started to question me about income. I decided to leave well alone. Saying that, I've come across charity's screaming out for people and when I've approached them to ask if they could square it up with the DWP, they just went silent and said oh well, we cant help.

Organisations like that are missing out on a lot of peoples time, so they cant want the voluntary workers all that bad otherwise they would help out a little in return.

More
13 years 8 months ago #23630 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:is voluntary work worth doing?
Hi Alan,

I'm afraid there probably isn't a straightforward answer to your question.

Voluntary work has to be work that it is reasonable to do without remuneration. So one of the issues might be whether other people would be paid for doing similar work with foreign students.

If you were doing, for example, learning support for children with special needs that might be more straightforward.

Do take a look at our guide 'Caution it may not count as voluntary work' in the members area.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• lainie
13 years 8 months ago #23643 by lainie
Replied by lainie on topic Re:is voluntary work worth doing?
Please be very careful if you are receiving a Teacher's Medical Retirement Pension. The recently changed rules are utterly draconian, and they will get you off it any way they can. They are also run by ATOS!!! Best wishes, Lainie

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.