× Members

D-day looms as well - Mum knows best

• Rachel
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #25500 by Rachel
D-day looms as well - Mum knows best was created by Rachel
I am an ex legal PA and precision was always expected of me. It is horrible being in somebody else's hands.Tribunal is happening in under 2 weeks so I thought, I'll go through my papers and pick out bits of evidence I might have missed.

A report, giving prognosis and EDSS of 6 came to light. I scanned it and sent it off to advisor. She advised not to send it to tribunal, that she had all she needed.

I feel very gloomy about the possible outcome (appeal WRAG to Support)but know that I could not have gone to appeal without professional support.

I know that if it goes badly, all is not lost and there is the next tribunal. I know that my rep knows all the ropes and is too hard pressed to tell me, but this wait, for me, is exquisite torture.

I know that most often welfare rights workers have a higher success rate and that is why I have stayed on this route, but find the passive role enrages a person who is used to being in control of their life.

I know how Jeff (of the D-day post)feels although mine is not a DLA claim. Good luck Jeff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• originaldave
13 years 7 months ago #25505 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re: D-day looms as well - Mum knows best
How old is the report ? it seems a good idea not to send it as average time at each level is 4 years ish

level six is "Intermittent or unilateral constant assistance (cane, crutch, brace) required to walk about 100 meters with or without resting"

IMO I doubt they would see a 100 meter walker as support group ? do you knowing how they think ?

• Rachel
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #25510 by Rachel
Replied by Rachel on topic Re: D-day looms as well - Mum knows best
i'm Primary Progressive MS, its been developing for 6-7 yrs but has been more degerative over past 2 years. Walking is difficult because of combined ataxia,spasticity and pain, also I cannot balance while walking. Other symptoms are sensory, severe spasm, numbness, burning and oedema and continence (both).

It may be that the advisor had the same reaction as yourself, that I wouldn't qualify for the support group with an EDSS of 6 and that is why she said "don't use the report".

The very reason I appealed was because it felt so dangerous (and exhausting) getting to the WRAG and I couldn't work out why ATOS thought my health would improve (in 6 months)with an untreatable and degenerating condition?

• Rachel
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #25525 by Rachel
Replied by Rachel on topic Re: D-day looms as well - Mum knows best
by the way, that report was made at time of diagnosis, over a year and half ago. I think the rate of acceleration of the various types varies, it feels as though degeration has been increasing over the past year or so, but I still take your point. An EDSS would have to be more specific, and probably an MS specific measurement taken to be relevant.

• tilly
13 years 7 months ago #25539 by tilly
Replied by tilly on topic Re:D-day looms as well - Mum knows best
Hi, If you have incontinence regularly - would you not automatically go into the support group?
It seems amazing that they think you will be improved in 6 months!
Tilly
xx

• originaldave
13 years 7 months ago #25544 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re: D-day looms as well - Mum knows best
rachel my gut feeling is the way the scale reads and the way it looks against guides for IB ect ( i know there is no connection) a 7 or 7.5 would be needed to get the other group

as for untreatable thats true but the unknown factor is speed of degenerating and everyones different and dwp staff dont guess (though it looks like it at times)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.