× Members

ongoing esa claim

• davuck
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #26377 by davuck
ongoing esa claim was created by davuck
Hi Everybody,

Ive been receiving esa since feb 2009 and ive now got to go to another medical at the end of this month as my claim is being reviewed etc.

My illness is a range of mental conditions related to a brain injury.

Should the atos doctor be qualified as a pysciatarist or something related to brain injury etc to be able to assess me ?

I passed my first medical in June 2009 or thereabout but am really worried as ive heard things have changed.

Any help or advice much appreciated and also what is the significance of how you travel to the medical?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago - 13 years 6 months ago #26379 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:ongoing esa claim
Hi Davuck

I understand, from information from Medical Services, that claimants are matched with available doctors with the most appropriate knowledge of their condition. That doesn’t mean that you will see a doctor with any knowledge of your condition, only if one's available. They are generally just trained to assess your functional ability in relation to the Work Capacity Assessment.

To answer your second question, ATOS doctors, together with the software they use to produce medical reports, make very crude assumptions about your ability from the way you travel to the medical centre.

For physical disabilities they may assume that you had no problem walking from the bus stop and enter that information into the computer, without actually asking if you had difficulty or needed to stop for rests. Such claimants would be advised to tell the doctor of any difficulties without being asked.

For mental health, sitting on a bus or train is considered a form of ‘social contact’ by ATOS (not true if you don’t speak to anyone on the bus) and somebody with social phobia may be considered to be able to cope with social situations. It can also be used against you for other descriptors on the medical report in ways you would not even imagine!

Also, attending the medical on your own is perceived by ATOS as demonstrating a level of confidence and you could lose points for coping with change or coping with social situations.

Good luck

Derek
Last edit: 13 years 6 months ago by Derek4. Reason: spelling

More
13 years 6 months ago #26464 by Judy
Replied by Judy on topic Re:ongoing esa claim
You can have a lend of my witches broom, wonder what their computer will make of that!

More
13 years 6 months ago #26466 by Timewarp
Replied by Timewarp on topic Re:ongoing esa claim

You can have a lend of my witches broom, wonder what their computer will make of that!

:evil: .... Doktor-on-a-stick .... :evil:

More
13 years 6 months ago #26511 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:ongoing esa claim
Judy wrote:

It would make a very interesting medical report.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.