× Members

advise - hospital addmittance

More
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #26617 by pug
advise - hospital addmittance was created by pug
hi all

what happens to your benefits ib and dla if you are addmitted to hospital.

my brother-in-law suffered a major stroke a month ago and has been in hospital since, he has been on ib and dla for a while.

he is paralized on the left hand side of his body has difficulty talking and is in a lot of pain.

will his benefits be cut this a great worry as we all know it is very expensive being in hospital.

his wife has to make a journey of 36 miles to visit him and is concerned that if his benefit is cut she will not be able to afford the cost.

can anyone point to where i can get some information on this.

thanks pug

Mod Edit - as more of a question than discussion topic, posting moved to Benefits Questions forum.

pete17971
moderating team
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by pete17971. Reason: posting moved forum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
13 years 7 months ago - 13 years 7 months ago #26618 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:advise - hospital addmittance
pug wrote:

hi all

what happens to your benefits ib and dla if you are addmitted to hospital.

my brother-in-law suffered a major stroke a month ago and has been in hospital since, he has been on ib and dla for a while.

he is paralized on the left hand side of his body has difficulty talking and is in a lot of pain.

will his benefits be cut this a great worry as we all know it is very expensive being in hospital.

his wife has to make a journey of 36 miles to visit him and is concerned that if his benefit is cut she will not be able to afford the cost.

can anyone point to where i can get some information on this.

thanks pug

Hi Pug,

The following Direct Gov webpage explains the effect on most disability benefits upon going into hospital:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Heal...Hospitals/DG_4000474

In practice, if one receives the High Rate DLA Mobility Component (or War Pensioners Mobility Supplement) and it is being used to fund a car/wheelchair through the Motability Scheme then payments are generally continued during the stay in hospital.

Pete
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by pete17971. Reason: add further info

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.