× Members

DWP Loan.Person died.Does Death Cancel Debts??

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 6 months ago #26641 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:DWP Loan.Person died.Does Death Cancel Debts??
Hi Tony,

You MUST NOT give advice here on B & W about not putting money into banks accounts where it can be traced, as in most cases this is at least dishonest or at worst fraud, which may have serious consequences if wilfully trying to hide assets.

Definitive advice is here What happens to debts when someone dies?

Kind regards.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tony
13 years 6 months ago #26653 by Tony
i appreciate what your saying Jim and I won't do it again but if anyone was rich on this site they probably wouldn't be here. It's possibly mostly the poor that haven't got anything. :blush:

More
13 years 6 months ago #26659 by Judy
No a builder or plunber can not ever come into the property and take out/dismantle any work they have done and not been paid for. This also applies if no one has died, they have to take you to court or suck it up.

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #26680 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:DWP Loan.Person died.Does Death Cancel Debts??
When someone dies, any debts they leave are paid out of their 'estate' (the money and property they leave behind). You're only responsible for their debts if you had a joint loan or agreement or provided a loan guarantee - you aren't automatically responsible for a husband's, wife's or civil partner's debts

from GOV web site

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits...dArrears/DG_10013093

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 6 months ago #26764 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:DWP Loan.Person died.Does Death Cancel Debts??
Thank you Dave, but this information has already been given in my link 'What happens when someone dies.'

Posting duplicate links with a different title creates extra work for moderators
and can cause confusion for members.

It's best to check out if the same link, albeit under a different name has already been posted, before posting it.

This is NOT a criticism of your desire to assist, but a gentle reminder to read posts already in a thread before posting the same one, and is aimed at all members.

Best wishes.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #26781 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:DWP Loan.Person died.Does Death Cancel Debts??
Jima1 wrote:

Thank you Dave, but this information has already been given in my link 'What happens when someone dies.'

Posting duplicate links with a different title creates extra work for moderators
and can cause confusion for members.

It's best to check out if the same link, albeit under a different name has already been posted, before posting it.

This is NOT a criticism of your desire to assist, but a gentle reminder to read posts already in a thread before posting the same one, and is aimed at all members.

Best wishes.

Jim

did read it or my reader did read it to me but sometimes misses links and i get confused with what i have heard if that makes sense :laugh: also i open a wwindow start doing my reply go for links make a cup of tea come back and some fast chaps posted :blush:

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.