× Members

DLA application - person in hospital?

• Rosies
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #26666 by Rosies
My hustand has been in hospital since the end of June following massive emergency heart surgery. He has now had to have his fore feet amputated and we are hoping they won't have to amputate further up (below the knee). We applied for ECA successfully and he will shortly be coming up for 13 weeks of being incapacitated, but although we are hoping he will be discharged home soon it may not be within the 13 weeks. Do I wait until he is out of hospital to submit the claim, as I see it can't be paid while he is still a patient? It will be difficult to complete the form properly until he is home because we won't know exactly how he will cope or how much pain he will be in until he is home. On the other hand is there a disadvantage in not applying as soon as possible? Many thanks for any replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #26744 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:DLA application - person in hospital?
Hi Rosies,

It really is up to you.

But, given that you may have a great deal on your plate in terms of caring responsibilities once your husband is home, it might be worth filling in the claim pack now based on what you already know the issues are likely to be.

You can always send additional information if there is a change in your husbands needs.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Rosies
  • Topic Author
13 years 7 months ago #26785 by Rosies
Replied by Rosies on topic Re:DLA application - person in hospital?
Thankyou for the speedy reply, much appreciated. I didn't realise additional information could be sent on so useful tip!

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.