× Members

HELP PLAESE? Tribunal support xxx

• QueenyV
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #26914 by QueenyV
HELP PLAESE? Tribunal support xxx was created by QueenyV
Hi

My friend has been going through the DLA process for her back problems (she can hardly walk some days and has lots of support from the GP to prove but the 'medical doctor' said she is fine!)
Anyway the thing is she has been having help from DIAL with the appeal and has now got a date for her tribunal in a couple of weeks. The plan was that the person from DAIL would go with her to represent my friend as she doesn't really have a clue how to go about it alone and is also very nervous.
Well now a couple of weeks before the court date DIAL have turned round and told my friend that they can't make it to the tribunal as they are too busy! Is there anyone else that can represent her free of charge and at short notice?
Thanks ever so much for any advice, I really want to help her as she is only 25 years old with a little girl, full time job that cripples her but she has to pay her bills just like the rest of us so leaving employment just isn't possible.
She has been hospitalised more times than I can count, is on very high morphine patches and lots of other drugs to try and ease the pain. She has to be helped to the toilet most days it's awful for her.
Thanks again
xxx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 6 months ago #26917 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:HELP PLAESE? Tribunal support xxx
Hi Q,

You could try contacting Community Legal Advice

However, they may be reluctant to take on the case at such short notice.

Whilst there is no guarantee that it will succeed, your DIAL representative could contact the Tribunals Service office and ask for your appeal to be postponed until they are available to provide an adviser to represent you.

Hope this helps.

Jim

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• millymoo
13 years 6 months ago #26923 by millymoo
Replied by millymoo on topic Re:HELP PLAESE? Tribunal support xxx
Hi

Have you tried CAB? If not is it possile for you to go with her for moral support? I took a friend with me and please tell your friend there is nothing to fear. I won my case and all i had to do was answer their questions related to my disability. There are no trick questions for DLA its just about the disability.

Whatever you decide to do please ensure you have as much medical evidence with you (that can be presented on the day) Try not to make light of the disability just tell them as it is. Thay are human and will put you at ease. When i went to tibunal it was held in a small room, there were 3 other people the chairman, a Dr and another lady(she was deaf) It seemed quite strange because there was a lady sat behind me telling me what the deaf lady was saying as it was all done in sign language.

There is the other option of a paper hearing but as you will have read on this site an oral appeal is more ften than not successful. It would be well worth reading all the literature on this site it is well written easy to understand and so informative. I dont know where i would be without this site.

Wishing you all the very best
Millymoo :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #26931 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:HELP PLAESE? Tribunal support xxx
From my own personal experience, once any WRO has started the claim process with a claimant, it's can be difficult to find another WRO to take it on. The last time I spoke to the CLS they said providing representation at an appeal was not possible. But what does concerns me is DIAL's change of position in this. Dial along with the CAB in my area have taken on many case's and then withdrew support a few weeks before the hearing.

They should never offer to help people if they cannot follow it through to the end. It gives false hope and does nothing for their reputation.

Like Jim says, It might be worth trying the CLS to check if any other WRO's operate in your area.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.