× Members

Should I ask for my benefit to be looked at again

More
13 years 6 months ago #27558 by Derek4
Hi Chris

It's not possible for a forum like this to give advice on an individual claim. You would need face-to-face advice from somebody who can look at all the documentation for your claim.

The general advice regarding challenging DWP decisions, if you choose to do so, is to appeal rather than ask them to look at it again. They do this automatically before the case is handed over to the Tribunals Service, so it would save you time.

Please read the appeal guide in the DLA Members' Area , and seek advice from a welfare rights advisor if necessary.

Best of luck

Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ranald
13 years 6 months ago #27559 by Ranald
Hello Chris
Before you think of appealing your DLA award it is worth considering how a lesser award might impact upon your life.
By this i mean that there is always the risk that any existing award could be downgraded so to speak as well as being increased on appeal.
Best take some expert advice from Welfare Rights and CAB before making a decision mate.

All the best, Ranald.

• chris
13 years 6 months ago #27568 by chris
Ranald wrote:

Hello Chris
Before you think of appealing your DLA award it is worth considering how a lesser award might impact upon your life.
By this i mean that there is always the risk that any existing award could be downgraded so to speak as well as being increased on appeal.
Best take some expert advice from Welfare Rights and CAB before making a decision mate.

All the best, Ranald.

Thanks for both of your replies and I've been thinking the same thing as what Ranald has said.The might make a mistake and reduce my claim :( which wouldn't be helpfull.

I can't ask for an appeal because I thought that this would have to be done within one Month as it is with most kinds of applications with the DWP.

I just wondered that it might be worth asking them to look at my claim again because things are considerably worse than when I first had my DLA.

I'll just give it some more consideration and wait for more replys.

Thanks for replying I do appreciate it. :-)

• martha
13 years 6 months ago #27578 by martha
Perhaps wait for your renewal date?
You could also ask for supporting evidence from your Psychiatrist or prescribing doctor and maybe ask for a CPN or Social worker to be assigned to you short term to help you deal with your increase in symptoms. They would also be in a position to help you with the forms.

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #27587 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Should I ask for my benefit to be looked at again
chris wrote:

Hi Everybody,

I'm currently getting low rate for Help For Getting Around and Middle Rate For Personal Care

I suffer from a condition and mental illness called Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) and please visit www.veale.co.uk for more info.. now when I just had this illness I was getting the rates that I've explained above for many years but about 5 years ago I had developed Paranoid Psychosis and my quality of life is considerably change for the worse where I don't hardly go out at all and don't look after myself properly to the extent where I have to go and stay with my Parents which can be Months at a time.

Would it be worth or should I try to re-applying by asking to for my Claim to be looked at again to see if I can get higher rates.

I am on very high doses of Anti-Psychotics,Anti-Depresants and Benzos-ie.. Diazepam.

I would really like some advice on this and I wouldn't be asking for more help if I didn't need it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris x :S

ask yourself the question why should I get more ? from the web site you linked and the info on there and looking at the regs for the mobility I dont think you could get higher mobility IMO with regards care...... the question you need to answer and keep a diary is what happens at night ?

do people have to look after you and watch over you for any length of time ? can you not cope at night without a carer ? if so you might have a case

the problem you might have is the drugs you have listed could give you a good nights sleep and they would say if you are asleep you dont need night help.

you say you would not be asking for help if you did not need it, but needing a bit of help at night would not be enough I think they would be looking at

watching all night so you dont harm your self or others

or help with medication, putting back to bed helping to the loo and to wash afterwards
i think you would need two lots of help 15 to 20mins each time IMO

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 6 months ago #27589 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Should I ask for my benefit to be looked at again
We cannot give information on individual queries. See FAQ

You need to seek 'face to face' advice agency that deals with benefits, for example your local CAB.

If they can't help see Community Legal Advice

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.