× Members

How often are ESA claims reviewed?

• psammead124
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28001 by psammead124
How often are ESA claims reviewed? was created by psammead124
Hi, I was wondering if there are any guidelines about how often ESA claims are reviewed - how long do they generally leave you alone once you have been awarded?

(I fear this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question :blink: )

I have been lucky enough to pass my appeal this week but am in *dread* of receiving a new form or being asked to a medical.

Thanks very much.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• millymoo
13 years 6 months ago #28002 by millymoo
Replied by millymoo on topic Re:How often are ESA claims reviewed?
Hi

It should tell you on your letter of confirmation that you have been awarded ESA when it is due for renewal. Which group hve they put you into? I have ben put into the support group with no renewal date and when i asked DWP how long it was for i was told it was indefinate, but they have the right to review it at any time!!! So its in the lap of the gods!!!! Once again we are beholden to them!!!!! :woohoo:

Mm x

More
13 years 6 months ago #28005 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:How often are ESA claims reviewed?
psammead124 wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if there are any guidelines about how often ESA claims are reviewed - how long do they generally leave you alone once you have been awarded?

(I fear this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question :blink: )

I have been lucky enough to pass my appeal this week but am in *dread* of receiving a new form or being asked to a medical.

Thanks very much.

As you were successful with your ESA appeal, the tribunal will not set a date when your entitlement is due for review.

It appears to be the case that when an ESA appeal is successful, the work capability assessment process is immediately restarted, normally with the further issue of an ESA50. The argument that would likely to be put forward is that the tribunal were only looking down to the date of the decison under review, and things may have changed with a claimant's medical condition since that date.

ESA claimants with some justification believe that starting the WCA process again so soon after a successful appeal is retribution for the success, but there is no way of telling that this is indeed the case?

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• psammead124
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28018 by psammead124
Replied by psammead124 on topic Re:How often are ESA claims reviewed?
Thanks both for your reply.

Millymoo - well done (weird thing to say) for getting into the support group and I hope that indefinite means they'll leave you be for a while! I am in the work-related group.

Crazydiamond - thanks, I thought this might be the case. It seems strange that they assume you might have improved, given that during that whole appeal period you've had to supply sick notes from your GP. DWP logic is not the same as ours, evidently.

If they do send for me again is there anything I can do about it? These past months have been awful and I fear I wouldn't cope with having to do it all over again.

More
13 years 6 months ago #28020 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:How often are ESA claims reviewed?

If they do send for me again is there anything I can do about it? These past months have been awful and I fear I wouldn't cope with having to do it all over again.

There is not a lot you can do about having to undergo another WCA, but for what it is worth you could make a complaint to your consistuency MP to illustrate how costly and farcical the WCA procedure together with an appeal (about £300 per appellant) is, to the taxpayers of the country.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.