× Members

Council Tax Benefit while away to convalesce?

More
13 years 6 months ago #28006 by Finni
Can I continue to claim Council Tax Benefit on my home even though I am staying away for a long time?

Below is some background information.

I own my own home and receive Income Support which qualifies me to get Council Tax Benefit from my local authority.

Seven months ago (February) I became very ill and had to leave my home to temporarily stay with my family in another part of the country. They help me see doctors almost every week as I can not manage to do so on my own.

All my mail still goes to my home address (not where I am staying now) and all my possessions are in my home. It is furnished, the utilities are connected and no one else lives there.

I am likely to need social services support from the local authority in the area in which I am staying to see doctors.

Can I claim CTB for my home?

Thank you for any info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 6 months ago #28009 by Survivor
Unfortunately, council tax benefit isn't something we advise on on this site, however, you may find this link helpful. It says that you need to notify your local authority if you will be away from home for more than a month.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits...w_income/DG_10018923

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #28010 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Council Tax Benefit while away to convalesce?
Finni wrote:

Can I continue to claim Council Tax Benefit on my home even though I am staying away for a long time?

Below is some background information.

I own my own home and receive Income Support which qualifies me to get Council Tax Benefit from my local authority.

Seven months ago (February) I became very ill and had to leave my home to temporarily stay with my family in another part of the country. They help me see doctors almost every week as I can not manage to do so on my own.

All my mail still goes to my home address (not where I am staying now) and all my possessions are in my home. It is furnished, the utilities are connected and no one else lives there.

I am likely to need social services support from the local authority in the area in which I am staying to see doctors.

Can I claim CTB for my home?

Thank you for any info.

find out here

www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2006/215/contents/made

good luck :)

More
13 years 6 months ago #28838 by Finni
link = Council Tax Benefit Regulations 2006

Thank you for the info.

There's 97 sections and 8 additonal schedules. Do you know where the relevant info might be in all that lot? :unsure:

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #28844 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Council Tax Benefit while away to convalesce?
Finni wrote:

Thank you for the info.

There's 97 sections and 8 additonal schedules. Do you know where the relevant info might be in all that lot? :unsure:

:laugh: its in there some where your allowed 13 weeks and in special cases 52 weeks will have a look :)

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #28846 by originaldave
Finni wrote:

Thank you for the info.

here is a link from one council

www.northampton.gov.uk/site/scripts/docu...tID=355&pageNumber=9

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.