× Members

Carers Allowance and the effect on other benefits

• Dragon
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28127 by Dragon
Please would a Moderator or Members give me some advice with regards to Carers Allowance. If I were to apply for this benefit, what would be the financial implication if any to my son's benefit? He is in receipt of ESA(IR), MRC and LRM.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 6 months ago #28128 by nonsmoker2008
Replied by nonsmoker2008 on topic Re: Carers Allowance and the effect on other benefits
as carers allowance is a taxable benefit it is deducted £ for £ from other income based support benefits paid to the claimant. there is no deduction from the benefits of the person being cared for, only the person receiving carers allowance

More
13 years 6 months ago #28141 by Crazydiamond
Replied by Crazydiamond on topic Re:Carers Allowance and the effect on other benefits
Dragon wrote:

Please would a Moderator or Members give me some advice with regards to Carers Allowance. If I were to apply for this benefit, what would be the financial implication if any to my son's benefit? He is in receipt of ESA(IR), MRC and LRM.

Many thanks

More information is available HERE.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Dragon
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28359 by Dragon
Thank you for your replies Non Smoker and Crazydiamond. Sorry, even after reading the website I am none the wiser. As my son lives at home with me, he is not entitled to any other benefit e.g. housing or council tax benefit. The only income related benefit he received is ESA. Due to a deterioration in his health I have had to reduce my hours of work which means I receive £50 weekly. Despite being in receipt of such little wages, I do not want to make a claim for Carers allowance if it will affect his benefit. Does anyone know if it will affect his ESA (IR)?

Many thanks

More
13 years 6 months ago #28364 by Gordon
Dragon

Carer's Allowance is paid to the carer not the person being cared for.

As such it is the carer who's income will be affected and not the person being cared for. So you will be impacted on and not your son.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #28365 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:Carers Allowance and the effect on other benefits
no it will not

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.