× Members

part time work

• soulboy
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28290 by soulboy
part time work was created by soulboy
Hi, I'm in receipt of incapacity & DLA I'm keen to try and work a few hours a week how would I go on if I trained as a lock smith as I have had repeated back surgery and would struggle with lifting, sitting type jobs.

Regards Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 6 months ago #28295 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: part time work
There are a number of issues here.

Firstly, there's nothing to stop you doing training, so long as the training you do isn't incompatible with your being regarded as unfit for work. Skill have guides to the compatibility of incapacity benefit and study. However, their site appears to be down right now, so I can't link you to the page.

It is possible to do work whilst on benefits, depending on whether you get paid, and if so, how much. Again, like studying, the work that you do could call into question whether you are fit for work depending on the nature of the work.

There is a guide to working and claiming on here. www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/work

Do also take a look at the information on there about when voluntary work doesn't count as voluntary work.

More
13 years 6 months ago #28296 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:part time work
Hi soulboy,

There's information about work and benefits in the work section of the members area.

Work or training should not affect your DLA, provided that the activities involved do not conflict with the grounds on which you receive your award.

But you definitely need to get individual from a welfare rights worker advice with regard to training and your incapacity benefit.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.