× Members

Tribunal submission

More
13 years 6 months ago #28405 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Tribunal submission
Hi Jules

In my area and I think in most areas, the CAB who use Community Legal Service are not funded to represent clients at hearings. They are only funded to prepare the case beforehand.

I am pleased to hear that some CAB advisers do a proper job of obtaining information from their clients. Mine didn't take any information from me and just wrote a completely fictitious and self-contradictory appeal statement, and submitted it without my permission or giving me a chance to read it. I then wrote my own appeal statement which my advisor submitted on my behalf. However, she failed to make it clear that the first statement was sent in error and inaccurate. Therefore the DWP had two appeal statements that contradict each other, and one that contradicts itself. I had to disinstruct my representative and write another statement to clarify the situation.

It is possible to submit evidence at the hearing as long as it is brief (about three pages of A4). Anything more than that is likely to result in an adjournment so that the tribunal have time to read it. Most appellants can send submissions two months before a hearing because of the waiting time for a hearing but about two weeks before a hearing is the very minimum amount of time they expect submissions to be received.

I hope for everybody's sake your CAB advisor was the norm, and not mine.

Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jules Baggs
13 years 6 months ago #28407 by jules Baggs
Replied by jules Baggs on topic Re:Tribunal submission
Hi Derek, Gosh, you poor thing! What a run around. It's interesting, actually, I think the difference may be either that I live in Wales or that my local CAB has disconnected itself from mainstream CABs - maybe that because they certainly answer their phone differently now; "prescribing citizens' advice". I was a benefits adviser for 7 years, before I became too sick to work, and we used to share some training with CAB advisers. I have always found the local ones very helpful, and the local jobcentre plus strongly advised me to talk to the CAB about my appeal because the jobcentre's staff know what a mess it all is but are afraid to speak up. I had a phone call from the DWP's occupational therapist about an hour or so ago, she understands my health condition but is not allowed to speak up because of a "conflict of interest". She is appalled that I lost the appeal. Maybe the competence of the CAB is yet another postcode lottery thing. I am really sorry you had such a rubbish experience. :(

More
13 years 6 months ago #28408 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Tribunal submission
Thanks to everybody who has replied so far.

I have to say that I am still totally confused about the timescales for sending information in.

The ESA Appeals document says;

If you wish to provide further evidence once you have read the submission, new rules introduced in November 2008 oblige you to do so within one month of the date on which the bundle was sent out. In practice it will often be virtually impossible to get medical evidence, for example, within the time limit. You should send in any evidence you can within the time limit and send in any other evidence as soon as it becomes available, along with a letter explaining why it could not be sent earlier. The tribunal has the power to accept late evidence if it chooses and at the time of writing they seem to be quite happy to do so.

However, I have checked the Tribunal Services web site and phoned them, and they are saying that they are not aware of any 4 week timescale to send in information. Just to do it as soon as possible!

Do any of the moderators have a definative view of what needs to be sent and when.

Many thanks

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Bad Back Bill
13 years 6 months ago #28410 by Bad Back Bill
Replied by Bad Back Bill on topic Re:Tribunal submission
Hi Stephen,
some C.A.B or D.I.A.L offices will take on Your case and actually represent You at the tribunal depending upon the area in which You live and the resources they have available. Unfortunately as Jules suggests it's a bit of a post code lottery thing.
It will be worth Your while contacting both organisations to see what,s available in Your area. Unsure of Your age but I have been led to believe Age Concern will provide assistance for anyone over 50.

Regards

Bill

More
13 years 6 months ago #28417 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Re:Tribunal submission
Hi Steve

I think the fact that the Tribunals Service is 'not aware' of any 4 week timescale speaks for itself.

I would trust the appeal guide. There is a 4 week time limit which is not rigorously enforced. But to be safe, you need to meet it if possible.

Derek

More
13 years 6 months ago #28674 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Submitting evidence to a tribunal
I think I have a definitive statement regarding submitting evidence to a Benefits Tribunal.

The following information leaflet at the Tribunal Serivices website says that all papers must be submitted at least 10 days before the tribunal date. See the bottom of page 21.

www.appeals-service.gov.uk/Documents/may...nglish_Final_rev.pdf

I also found a discussion of what I think was a parliamentary sub-committee that recommended that the DWP be limited to 4 weeks in preparing there response.

Please check this out, but I would ask, if the validity of this info is sufficient, that the ESA Appeals document in the members section is updated. I've made myself ill(er) worrying about the return date and trying to get a submission together and I would not want anybody else to go through this.

Thanks Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.