× Members

dla renewal

• mag2212
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28570 by mag2212
dla renewal was created by mag2212
my husband has been on dla now for 5 years first he got lower care.then after he took an overdose 2 years ago he got middle rate care and lower mobillity.he suffers from mental health problems and also severe back pain.his renewal form was sent back 8weeks ago.lastweek he got a letter saying they could not make a decision because they sent for a gp report on the 18.09.2010.he phoned the surgery on the 29.09.10 they told him they was filling it in that afternoon.he recieved a dla entitlement this morning 01.10.2010.awarding lower mobbility and middle rate care for indefinite period.i told them in extra paper work that i need to be awake in the night when he wakes at leat 90mins in the night.just wondered if it was worth appealing for the higher care.thaks mag

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 6 months ago #28571 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: dla renewal
I'm afraid we don't give specific advice on individual cases.

However, you will need to balance up the following.

On the one hand, your husband has night-time care needs which may merit a higher rate of care. (For specific details of what qualifies, see the members' guides.)

On the other hand, if you appeal, the whole entitlement will be reconsidered and it is possible to lose what you already have.

• Dippypud
13 years 6 months ago #28584 by Dippypud
Replied by Dippypud on topic Re: dla renewal
Well done mag2212,

I know how hard it is to chase the paperwork needed for these claims.

Please take time to read the advice given on this site, both in the forums and the guides. Then you can make an informed decision.

Well done again, good luck for the future, whatever you decide.

Regards, Pud

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #28617 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:dla renewal
mag2212 wrote:

my husband has been on dla now for 5 years first he got lower care.then after he took an overdose 2 years ago he got middle rate care and lower mobillity.he suffers from mental health problems and also severe back pain.his renewal form was sent back 8weeks ago.lastweek he got a letter saying they could not make a decision because they sent for a gp report on the 18.09.2010.he phoned the surgery on the 29.09.10 they told him they was filling it in that afternoon.he recieved a dla entitlement this morning 01.10.2010.awarding lower mobbility and middle rate care for indefinite period.i told them in extra paper work that i need to be awake in the night when he wakes at leat 90mins in the night.just wondered if it was worth appealing for the higher care.thaks mag

The main questions you need to look at is how often at night is it once or twice a week or every night ?

What are you doing at night when he needs you ? is he a risk to himeself or others ?

Is it always 90 mins help ?

After looking at all that even if you think you have a good case the DWP might not agree and what you have now is at risk :(

IMO the jump from middle to higher is BIG and not that easy to show sometimes and the risk to what you have means its not a risk that could be worth making unless your 100% sure and get good advise

• mag2212
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28639 by mag2212
Replied by mag2212 on topic Re:dla renewal
thanx for all the replies.we have decided to keep what we are getting as both awards are indefinate so the risk is probably to high to take.once again thank you all

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.