× Members

Thank You for your Guide to DLA

• Nom
  • Topic Author
13 years 6 months ago #28906 by Nom
Thank You for your Guide to DLA was created by Nom
I have MS and was advised that after 3 years it had progressed to the point that I should apply for DLA.

I down loaded your Guide to Claiming DLA and once I received the forms took nearly all of the alloted time to fill them in, answering only one or two questions every few days and considering each one very carefully based on the advice in your Guide.

The forms were posted towardas the end of August and 30 days later I received notice that I had been awarded Higher Rate Mobility and Middle Rate Care, for an indefinate period. Based on anecdotal evidence I fully expected to be turned down on this first attempt and would like to thank you for a publication that contributed significantly to my successful application.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
13 years 6 months ago #28916 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Thank You for your Guide to DLA
Hi,

Well Done.

It is great to get feedback and it can help those going through the process by showing not all claims are problematical.

Pete

More
13 years 6 months ago #28970 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:Thank You for your Guide to DLA
Hi Nom,

It would be nice to think that anyone with a condition as potentially debilitating as MS could expect to be treated with respect rather than suspicion when they apply for benefits. But Holi and I know from work we've done with the MS Society in the past that this is often not the case.

What makes it particularly shameful is that many people with MS wait until their condition has progressed a very long way before even considering making a claim for DLA, but still get turned down or get a very low award.

Your slow and steady approach seems to have paid off. Congratulations and thank you for letting us know.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
More
13 years 6 months ago #28978 by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law)
Replied by Jim Allison BSc, Inst LE, MBIM; MA (Consumer Protection & Social Welfare Law) on topic Re:Thank You for your Guide to DLA
Nom wrote:

I have MS and was advised that after 3 years it had progressed to the point that I should apply for DLA.

I down loaded your Guide to Claiming DLA and once I received the forms took nearly all of the alloted time to fill them in, answering only one or two questions every few days and considering each one very carefully based on the advice in your Guide.

The forms were posted towardas the end of August and 30 days later I received notice that I had been awarded Higher Rate Mobility and Middle Rate Care, for an indefinate period. Based on anecdotal evidence I fully expected to be turned down on this first attempt and would like to thank you for a publication that contributed significantly to my successful application.

Congratulations on your DLA award. I've had MS since I was 42, and I'm now 69.

There are many forms of MS, so if your care needs worsen, don't be afraid of applying for the HRC component, as from my experience your mobility needs won't improve. Both Decision Makers and DLA Tribunals are aware of this.

See the DWP guide Multiple Sclerosis which deals with mobility and care considerations, along with prognosis etc. etc.

PLEASE READ THE SPOTLIGHTS AREA OF THE FORUM REGULARLY, OTHERWISE YOU MAY MISS OUT ON IMPORTANT INFORMATION. Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.