× Members

what will i lose

More
13 years 6 months ago #29096 by bongz22
what will i lose was created by bongz22
Can anyone offer advice? I am a lone parent on higher rate care and mobility(DLA),I/S and the obvious council tax and housing benefit.i have two children the older one at University so i am still in reciept of income support and child benefit for him.He has now dropped the bombshell and said he wants to quit! can anyone advise me on what i will lose benefit wise? I am very sad at his decision but cannot force him to stay at uni.what will happen if he works etc..I understand i will no longer recieve IS and CB but what else will be affected.As i mentioned i recieve DLA higher care and mobility.Does this make any difference? Please help.Thankyou.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 6 months ago #29099 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: what will i lose
We can't really advise you on benefits in general here. It would be a good idea to go to see an adviser for a face to face benefits check.

If your son has a loan for university, this may be a problem when it comes to getting benefits for himself, and he will need to take advice on this.

It is possible that if he claims benefits in his own right or goes out to work that this will affect your HB and CTB.

His earnings/benefits would not affect your DLA. However, if you have anyone eighteen or over living with you, this will stop you getting a severe disability premium on your IS. This is the case regardless of whether they work.

I'm sorry to have raised more questions than I've answered.

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #29100 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re:what will i lose
bongz wrote:

Can anyone offer advice? I am a lone parent on higher rate care and mobility(DLA),I/S and the obvious council tax and housing benefit.i have two children the older one at University so i am still in reciept of income support and child benefit for him.He has now dropped the bombshell and said he wants to quit! can anyone advise me on what i will lose benefit wise? I am very sad at his decision but cannot force him to stay at uni.what will happen if he works etc..I understand i will no longer recieve IS and CB but what else will be affected.As i mentioned i recieve DLA higher care and mobility.Does this make any difference? Please help.Thankyou.

you should not be getting CB if he is at Uni see here

www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/keep-up-to-...urther-education.htm

More
13 years 6 months ago #29101 by bongz22
Replied by bongz22 on topic Re: what will i lose
Hi.many thanks for that.i had read that because i was in reciept of higher care no deductions would be taken.thanks again.

• originaldave
13 years 6 months ago #29103 by originaldave
Replied by originaldave on topic Re: what will i lose
Survivor wrote:

We can't really advise you on benefits in general here. It would be a good idea to go to see an adviser for a face to face benefits check.

If your son has a loan for university, this may be a problem when it comes to getting benefits for himself, and he will need to take advice on this.

It is possible that if he claims benefits in his own right or goes out to work that this will affect your HB and CTB.

His earnings/benefits would not affect your DLA. However, if you have anyone eighteen or over living with you, this will stop you getting a severe disability premium on your IS. This is the case regardless of whether they work.

I'm sorry to have raised more questions than I've answered.

If he has a uni loan it will not cause a problem getting benefits he only has to pay back if he is earning more than 15k
a year

More
13 years 6 months ago #29104 by bongz22
Replied by bongz22 on topic Re:what will i lose
I have already checked that and he is on a relevant course,i spoke to CB and they said the course(not a degree!)he is doing still qualifies for CB.thanks anyway.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.