× Members

living in France and claiming IB

• minky1
  • Topic Author
13 years 5 months ago #31026 by minky1
living in France and claiming IB was created by minky1
I have been claiming IB for 10 years, I now live in France and have been for the last 6 years. Before I moved abroad I had to have 2 medicals undertaken by consultants working for the DWP, on both occassions I was deemed unfit for work. Since living in France I have seen my doctor regularly (every 3 months) for check ups,and drug reviews. I've had regular full body x-rays every 2 years, to see if my condition has worsened (it has)I have been regularly contacted by the DWP and filled out the work assessment form on 3 occasions, I have sent these back with a covering letter from my French doctor with the written report which I have been given each time with my x-rays outlining the problems with my spine, hip and pelvis. When i was last reviewed by the dwp, they said that my case would not be reviewed again until May 2010, I still haven't heard anything. Does anyone know how people in my situation (physical impairment), and living abroad, are going to be treated under this new regime?? I feel so sorry for every one out there in the UK and abroad who don't know what is going to happen to their benefits, most people like me have proberly worked all their lives and paid into the system, and should be able to get help when needed, and are sick or disabled due to no fault of their own.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #31122 by Steve Donnison
Replied by Steve Donnison on topic Re:living in France and claiming IB
Hi minky1,

I don't think living in France will make any difference to how your claim will be assessed in the future. At some point you will be sent an ESA50 and be assessed for ESA. If necessary a French doctor will be asked to provide medical evidence for the DWP before a decision is made.

Good luck,

Steve

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 4 months ago #34719 by Elaine2
Replied by Elaine2 on topic Re:living in France and claiming IB
Do you think that when ESA(c) is only able to be claimed for 1 year and then it is migrated to ESA(IB) that all claimants abroad will lose? I have investigated the Spanish/Portugal system and unless you have paid directly into their systems for a minimum of 5 years you cannot claim their "invalidity benefit". Surely this will leave the UK failing their sick abroad and leaving them without monies unless there is a migration back to the UK of those who are not of pension age. Would you say that this will again arrive back at the European Court for failing the sick and disabled?

Thank you.

More
13 years 4 months ago #34739 by Storm287
Replied by Storm287 on topic Re:living in France and claiming IB
I think this is a really intresting thread, I love the idea of moving to france, it was only recentley that i learnt that you can move to a EU country and still get your IB and Care part of DLA, did the DWP make you jump through loads of hoops to keep it when you moved.

More
13 years 4 months ago #34746 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:living in France and claiming IB
Elaine

The current expectation is that the changes will be implemented in April 2012, although it is not cleae when the "year" will start for everybody.

However, after the "year" has elapsed anybody on ESA(CB) with assets of more than £16,000 OR a partner earning more than £90/week will then be inelligble for ESA.

AS to the legislation being contested, it is too early to say as the legislation required to make the changes has not been submitted to the House of Commons.

I wouldn't worry too much until things become clearer.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 4 months ago #34751 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re:living in France and claiming IB
Yes it is early to say, but certainly if you feel you have issues with this prospect then consider to protest. Write to the MP or a newspaper, or a disability charity.

You mentioned having worked so long and paying into the system. Even more of a reason to defend the welfare protection for you and your fellow Brits :)

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.