× Members

Advice on Support Group for ESA

More
13 years 4 months ago #33353 by Tim
Advice on Support Group for ESA was created by Tim
Hello

I am a MS sufferer.. and have been placed in the Limited capability for work section of ESA.. As I have progressed quite considerably since my assessment in Feb 2010.. Is there a way of launching my appeal via the internet.. or by phone... My writing is like that of a 5 year old.. Even typing is a problem.. but I can just about manage it.. albeit very slowly.. I wee myself on a weekly basis and I cannot turn on a tap.. I need help getting out of a chair.. Is this enough for the support group.. THank you.. Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 4 months ago #33360 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: Advice on Support Group for ESA
So far as I am aware, you must use a GL24, but in providing its service, the DWP must make reasonable adjustments under the DDA, so I can't see what harm there would be in asking them.

But if your writing is like a five-year old and you submit the appeal in writing, they're just going to have to put up with that.

Could you type a reply or dictate a reply to a friend or to someone at an advice centre to type for you?

• Survivor
13 years 4 months ago #33362 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: Advice on Support Group for ESA
If you want to know what the criteria are for the support group of ESA, pages 25 and 26 of the guide to ESA in the help for claimants section explain it.

More
13 years 4 months ago #33395 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic Re:Advice on Support Group for ESA
hello survivor

I have looked and looked again at the descriptors for ESA.. and I fulfill at least two or three of these.. maybe four.. Yet why was I put in the work related part.. I do not wish to appeal for the simple fact that I do not want to be kicked off ESA altogether.. Surely my medical would have picked up on these facts.. or is an appeal the only way to get into the correct support group.. Thank you.. a very worried Tim..

• Ranald
13 years 4 months ago #33396 by Ranald
Replied by Ranald on topic Re:Advice on Support Group for ESA
They don't want to allow us into the Support Group because it is non means tested and they won't be able to make their savings.

I was going to appeal being placed in the WRAG myself but decided it wasn't worth the risk of losing everything, i have no savings and the difference is only about 6 quid a week.

It depends on your circumstances i think, If you have savings over 6k or a working partner you obviously have more to lose than a single divorcee with no savings such as myself.

Ranald

More
13 years 4 months ago #33403 by DRAGON2009
Replied by DRAGON2009 on topic Re:Advice on Support Group for ESA
whilst the Government is
intending to impose a means test after 12 months for work related activity ctontribution based ESA customers it is not yet the law and no precise date arrived at. I doubt this change is having much influence at this stage on support group allocation. You say its only 6 quid a week difference and yet you have no savings. If you might qaulify and dont persue it then you are missing a potential £300 a year

Obtain a copy of your ESA report and see an advice centre to see if you ought to appeal for the support group. I beleive there is a time limit of one month so you may need to act quickly if you choose to explore this.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.