× Members

ESA and DLA

More
13 years 5 months ago #34744 by marie4543
ESA and DLA was created by marie4543
Hi

I suffer with Fibromyalgia, CFS and Epilepsy. I had my medical in July and was put in the WRAG group. It stated on my medical report that they felt I would be fit enough to work in six months time. My DLA was awarded based on the ESA medical. They told me that my sick note runs out on 27.12.09 and my DLA would be paid until then. A few weeks before that date they will send me a renewal form. Last week I was told by my consultant that I had severe osteoarthritis in my right knee and need a total knee replacement. My question is what do I do now? Do I wait for the DLA to send me a form in December or do I ask for a form now? Also do I have to start a fresh claim for ESA or will they send me another form for ESA out in December or send me for another medical?
Just not sure what my next move should be. Thank you for any advice you are able to give me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #34747 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: ESA and DLA
You don't need to make a fresh claim for ESA when the six months is up - it just means that the DWP will review your ESA claim then and will probably call you in for another medical.

As far as the DLA is concerned, I can't see that there would be any harm in asking for a form now. I certainly wouldn't leave it until the last minute, because the form may take you quite some time to fill in.

• badtastebear
13 years 5 months ago - 13 years 5 months ago #35653 by badtastebear
Replied by badtastebear on topic Re: ESA and DLA
Hi there, i have the same three condition you have, but i have had my past two dlb's turned down. Thing have got much worse and i'm now trying to write a hole new dla claim form, its stressing me out already. Any advice

Mod Edit - e-mail address removed.
Last edit: 13 years 5 months ago by . Reason: remove e-mail address

More
13 years 5 months ago #35722 by marie4543
Replied by marie4543 on topic Re: ESA and DLA
When I filled in my form to claim ESA I wrote that I wasn't able to stand up or sit down longer then 10 minutes due to pains caused by fibromyalgia and pains in my knee and back (at the time I didn't know I had osteoarthritis). During my medical I stood up twice for a while to 'stretch' my legs as my joints and back goes very stiff and painful if I stay in one place too long. Likewise, if I stand up for too long not only do I suffer pain but due to CFS I find it difficult so during the medical I stood up, sat down, stood up, sat down. I was awarded 15 points because I cannot sit or stand too long without being in pain and uncomfortable. Don't know if this is of any help to you. Best of luck x

• staffielover
13 years 5 months ago #35745 by staffielover
Replied by staffielover on topic Re: ESA and DLA
If you have been diagnosed with another disabling condition I`d have thought that you could write and tell them that you have more needs under the "change of circumstances" criteria.
It works both ways!

More
13 years 5 months ago #35778 by Harryb
Replied by Harryb on topic Re: ESA and DLA
Thanks for that Marie, it's exactly how it affects me, your points award is encouraging, the sceptics of fibromyalgia could be led to believe we are athletes with all this getting up and down, and there are a lot of these sceptics about. I think I would have been one of the worst until I experienced the illness for myslef.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.