× Members

Definitions

• toggleuk
  • Topic Author
13 years 4 months ago #35381 by toggleuk
Definitions was created by toggleuk
Sorry for asking a few probably 'dumb' questions...but after (great) information overload these last few days...am having a 'brain freeze' moment...duh

Can someone explain the difference between a PCA and a WCA...?

Where can a find a list of so-called 'exempt' conditions? ...and what exactly do they exempt you from?

Earlier this year, I was asked if I wanted to 'opt-out' of having my medical notes put into the new NHS systems...taking the view that in an emergency and the way our local hospital sometimes loses notes...I felt it in my best interests not to opt out given that I would want appropriate staff to get quickest access in an emergency to my medical information. But in an article here, (joebrown.org.uk - DWP give ATOS Origin acccess to your medical records without asking you) - someone recommended writing to DWP and instructing them NOT to give any medical info to ATOS without my express permission. Is that still the general concensus? Are there pros and cons to taking a view either way on that? Can I still do that given my choice NOT to opt out to NHS records being available as mentioned earlier?

Finally, I have a meeting with my local MP at his Saturday surgery. I did ask before but seems my multi question got overlooked on this point. Can I take copies of the 'members news' bulletins to show him which indicate a lot of information and concerns that doesn't seem to be reaching the general public about the cutback flaws. ( Obviously, am not talking about info posted in the members questions and answer sections...I would never divulge personal stuff posted by members)

Is there anything else the mods think might be useful to bring up/discuss/show him. He's a Labour MP and from his website seems to be quite proactive on many social issues.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete17971
13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #35389 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Definitions
toggleuk wrote:

Sorry for asking a few probably 'dumb' questions...but after (great) information overload these last few days...am having a 'brain freeze' moment...duh

Can someone explain the difference between a PCA and a WCA...?

Where can a find a list of so-called 'exempt' conditions? ...and what exactly do they exempt you from?

Earlier this year, I was asked if I wanted to 'opt-out' of having my medical notes put into the new NHS systems...taking the view that in an emergency and the way our local hospital sometimes loses notes...I felt it in my best interests not to opt out given that I would want appropriate staff to get quickest access in an emergency to my medical information. But in an article here, (joebrown.org.uk - DWP give ATOS Origin acccess to your medical records without asking you) - someone recommended writing to DWP and instructing them NOT to give any medical info to ATOS without my express permission. Is that still the general concensus? Are there pros and cons to taking a view either way on that? Can I still do that given my choice NOT to opt out to NHS records being available as mentioned earlier?

Finally, I have a meeting with my local MP at his Saturday surgery. I did ask before but seems my multi question got overlooked on this point. Can I take copies of the 'members news' bulletins to show him which indicate a lot of information and concerns that doesn't seem to be reaching the general public about the cutback flaws. ( Obviously, am not talking about info posted in the members questions and answer sections...I would never divulge personal stuff posted by members)

Is there anything else the mods think might be useful to bring up/discuss/show him. He's a Labour MP and from his website seems to be quite proactive on many social issues.

Thanks

Hi,

To answer some of your multiple queries, firstly there is a full list of abreviations in the spotlights area at the top of this form here:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?func=view&catid=10&id=14189

Re PCA/WCA, the Personal Capability Assment (PCA) is the medical assessment for Incapacity benefit whereas the the Work Capability Assessment (WCA) is the medical for Employment & Support Allowance (ESA).

The exempt from the Incapacity Benefit PCA conditions are listed in the guide 'The Best Possible Incapcity for Work claims on Physical Health Grounds on this page:

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/incapacity

Re the NHS Opt Out - it is really beyond the remit of this site, but you can ask you GP Practice Manager etc about it and change your decision.

Although the guides are copyright showing them to your MP should not be a problem.

Pete
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by pete17971. Reason: spelling

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.