× Members

Home Surveillance - Questions

More
13 years 5 months ago #36283 by Marshal_534
Home Surveillance - Questions was created by Marshal_534
I have found out that my home was put under surveillance a while back by a Private Investigation Company for 3 days. I have obtained a copy of the associated report.

Putting aside the inclusion of records concerning my prior houses purchases, prior Ltd company accounts, etc and things found about me on the web, (which I assume are within the remit of 'reasonable' in the UK), I have 3 areas which I am less certain of, in terms of legality.

Firstly, notes were made concerning who was in the house, e.g. female in kitchen.

Secondly, my neighbours were approached, (by knocking on their doors), and asked to discuss who was in my home, and me and my illness.

Finally, as is noted in the report, I was cold called by a member of the surv. team who asked for my assistance, (they claimed to be in distress concerning a prior traffic car accident in my road).

The records also show that it was established before knocking that I was alone in the home. The purpose of the cold call is given in the report, as being to speak to me directly (for confirmation it was me), and to get a feel for my 'demeanour'.

As an aside, access was also 'briefly' made into a private gated/secured courtyard at the rear of my property in order to see what was in there.

I am interested in understanding the legality of what has occurred. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Best Regards,

M.

dar
ME/CFS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Survivor
13 years 5 months ago #36285 by Survivor
Replied by Survivor on topic Re: Home Surveillance - Questions
This comes outside the scope of what we advise on on here, but it may be that one of the members would know something about this.

More
13 years 5 months ago #36294 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re:Home Surveillance - Questions
A quick Google search would suggest that the surveillance was legal, as it was carried out from a public place, the only exception would be if, as you say, the boundaries of your property were violated, however, proving this would be another matter.

The only legislation that might offer any cover would be the Human Rights Act, which talks about the "expectation to privacy", however, if for example you do not have nets at your windows, and as a result there is an unrestricted view of the interior, then it would probably be reasonable to argue that there could be no expectation of privacy.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
13 years 5 months ago #36295 by Doris
Replied by Doris on topic Re:Home Surveillance - Questions
Do you know who was investigating and what for ?

More
13 years 5 months ago #36297 by lulu
Replied by lulu on topic Re:Home Surveillance - Questions
Dear oh Dear this sounds very alarming, are the DWP now investigating disabled claimants or what exactly is going on. Any thoughts would be most appreciated as this sounds like the Benefits SAS.

• pete17971
13 years 5 months ago #36344 by pete17971
Replied by pete17971 on topic Re:Home Surveillance - Questions
Marshal_534 wrote:

I have found out that my home was put under surveillance a while back by a Private Investigation Company for 3 days. I have obtained a copy of the associated report.

Putting aside the inclusion of records concerning my prior houses purchases, prior Ltd company accounts, etc and things found about me on the web, (which I assume are within the remit of 'reasonable' in the UK), I have 3 areas which I am less certain of, in terms of legality.

Firstly, notes were made concerning who was in the house, e.g. female in kitchen.

Secondly, my neighbours were approached, (by knocking on their doors), and asked to discuss who was in my home, and me and my illness.

Finally, as is noted in the report, I was cold called by a member of the surv. team who asked for my assistance, (they claimed to be in distress concerning a prior traffic car accident in my road).

The records also show that it was established before knocking that I was alone in the home. The purpose of the cold call is given in the report, as being to speak to me directly (for confirmation it was me), and to get a feel for my 'demeanour'.

As an aside, access was also 'briefly' made into a private gated/secured courtyard at the rear of my property in order to see what was in there.

I am interested in understanding the legality of what has occurred. Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

Best Regards,

M.

Hi,

Although really beyond the remit of the forum, do you know why you were the subject of this surveillance?.

If it was for and/or on behalf of a listed government agency, and falls into the class of directed surveillance or covert human intelligence sources then the requirments of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (commonly referred to as the RIPA Act) MAY apply.

There is more on the RIPA Act here

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIPA

albeit it is not entirely accurate but it gives you the jist of it.

If the surveillance was for other reasons outwith this act, then as mentioned above, it can be lawful as well.

You really need to find out the reason for the surveillance and then seek face to face advice if you wish to persue any complaint or other action.

Pete

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.